• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How I moved my steering column forward 4 1/2 inches...

Kachess

TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Attachments

• all done.jpg
    all done.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 558
  • bottom bracket weldment.jpg
    bottom bracket weldment.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 392
  • top bracket weldment.jpg
    top bracket weldment.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 395
  • upper backing plate steering stop.jpg
    upper backing plate steering stop.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 362

Rest of the photos..

Attachments

• Bulkhead cutout for ears clearance.jpg
    Bulkhead cutout for ears clearance.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 469
  • cable routing.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 276
  • final assembly.jpg
    final assembly.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 469
  • hood and tank cover cutout.jpg
    hood and tank cover cutout.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 390
  • steering column limit ears ground.jpg
    steering column limit ears ground.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 371
Creative and inventive, nice work. One comment, either buy a cup or put some padding on that tank, your gonna need it. What are you going to do with the big fricking hole?

Sitting on it, it doesn't feel like it's going to be a ball buster. It's not that far forward and I always had to sit way back with the old config. The hole is a bit ugly. Maybe gauges. May beer holder. I'm not worried about it. In the mountains looks don't matter....proof.....look at all the guys driving revs.

1st. great job. That looks like it would be much more mountain friendly. 2nd, I am thinking you should put your guage or a guage where the hole is. It doesn't look like you can see your speedometer very well with your new configuration.

J.

I will be fabricating some braces this next week and would be willing to make extras while I am doing it if anyone is interested. I could put together a kit for $50 that would include the high strenght bolts.

Todd

Does anyone know if the steering at the bottom would fit with a front mount turbo? Looks like it may interfer with exhaust hedder. Looks like a great idea.

I can't imagine how it could interfere because it occupies the same space as the old assy down below, but I don't know what a turbo header looks like.

The gauge fits in the old steering hole nicely. All three attach bolts and the connector just barely fit within the diameter. Attaching it takes only a small piece of aluminum cut to the hole diameter with three ears left on it that you can bend down and screw though.

Kachess,

Any thoughts on how we could do this AND keep the headlight pod. I'm thinking puting the guage in the old hole is a great idea. It moves it out of the way, and covers up the hole. Must be the wiring stretched far enough, huh? I'd love to move mine too, but its a trail sled and I need lights. What's your best guess as to whether you could keep the headlight pod with this mod? I know the windshield would have to be chopped, but will the rest have room? How about a pic of the guages mounted in the old hole, and a pic of you on it so we can check out the ergos. Keep it coming man, you've started something big. Thanks for the info, this is a great thread!!!

"Gauge in the hole" photos attached. When installing, although the gauge cable is plenty long and reaches back easilly, there is not much room under the lower part of the hole. My lower screw that attaches the aluminum disk to the tank cover was hiting the tank vent fitting and had to be ground down. I just pigtailed off the headlight connector and ran it back forward to the hood. I used original rubber grommets and screws for gauge mounting. Just barely fits in hole.

As far as the pod, I just don't know. It's been so long since I've had mine I don't even remember what it looks like. The cuttout in the hood is not very deep, but does enter the area where the pod fairing attaches. Someone else will have to check it out. I like that my gauges are off my hood and I can go for a lightweight hood. I actually night ride a little with my "baby" light and it's not that bad. I stuck a 100w bulb in it and it's pretty bright. Not like stock though.

Attachments

• 05-12-05 Rider forward mod 001 (Small).jpg
    05-12-05 Rider forward mod 001 (Small).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 05-12-05 Rider forward mod 003 (Small).jpg
    05-12-05 Rider forward mod 003 (Small).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 05-13-05 Rider forward mod 001 (Small).jpg
    05-13-05 Rider forward mod 001 (Small).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 05-13-05 Rider forward mod 002 (Small).jpg
    05-13-05 Rider forward mod 002 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 378
Thanks for the pics :Rockon: . Now that you've done it, what's your opinion on a less severe move, like maybe 3 in. Since we have to make new brackets anyway, couldn't we get like a 3 in. forward mod and then not have to chop the hood / move the guage pod, etc? What are your thoughts?

In starting mine I don't see how it could be done using Kachess' method because the shaft goes through the support column. Maybe if you moved the support column or something but it looks like 4" is minimum. I could see how it could go more though with the right brackets. The Apex went 6" forward, right???

T

Back