• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How in Bloody heck do they do this???? Apex pricing!!!

Tork

TY 4 Stroke God
Somebody please answer this one, please! If a 2 stroke MOTOR costs $1500 in base manufacturing costs to build (just throwing out a guesstimate) than you would think the Yam 4 stroke motor would cost $3200.
More cylinders to cast bore and hone, twice as many pistons, a much more complicated crank shaft that needs to be machined more precisely.
Plus
Instead of just basically a hunk of aluminum for a cylinder head, you have dual cams, 5 valves per cylinder all the drive sprockets, cam followers, springs
Plus
you have a lubrication system, and not just any, it is dry sump like a race car or a Porsche 911
Plus
you have magnesium covers and a titanium header and front end brackets to help offset the additional weight.
Plus
you have a crank speed reduction unit (gear reduction)
plus
you have what, 3 times as many parts for steering, because the steering columns jog around the engine and then back to center

HOW IN BLOODY hell are they selling these 4 strokes at near 2 stroke prices??????????????????

The average guy does not realize how freaking incredible this is!!!!!!!!!!

2-strokes nowdays are not simple like they were in the past.
You have all of the electronic sensors, exhaust valves, Nikasil coating for the cylinders, ect.
One thing that I can think of is that Yamaha is a much bigger company that Cat, BRP and Poo, so perhaps they can afford cheap pricing because their other markets can absorb what Yamaha might lose on sleds.
Im honestly surprised that some people are actually getting their sleds (especially the RSs) for LESS than list price!
Cap'n

Tork, what I have been saying since 03, nobody will ever be able to market a competitive 4 stroke to the Yamaha except maybe Honda.

Jim

Cat gives a 4 year warranty to there owners..

Why... because they know they will use it.. and they build that into the cost of the sled

I was looking over both my 2003 RX-1er and my 2006 Apex er in my shed last night. There are so many improvements since the 2003's it is incredible. Such as weight reduction, suspension, the e.f.i 150 h.p. engine, storage, rider position, hand and thumb warmers that retain their position when re-started, much better track, better appearance, better front end geometry and a much easier sled to clean up. I have a 5 year warranty on both sleds, and with all the improvements, I paid $145.00 more for the Apex with the five year warranty than I did for the RX-1 with the five year warranty. Not a bad deal at all.

When a company offers a long warranty like Arctic Cat...there is a reason for it.

They "HAD" to offer it on the F7's because of the first two years of poorly built sleds. Many people would not have purchased another F7 after seeing sooooo many problems.

If there is a lack of buyer confidence in a product, then you have to offer a long warranty period to get some extra market share.

If you have confidence in your product, you do not need to offer much warranty.....the consumer will buy it regardless.

Canook. I should have said 4 additional years for a total of 5 years. I paid $450.00 extra for the additional four years of Y.E.S. warranty from Yamaha.

Tork, what you said is half the reason I purchased the four stroke. I tell that to everyone who looks at my sled. What is it like 8500 for a 600 h.o. sdi, when you can spend another 500 and get an Apex.

Back