• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How is the new Viper cooled?

fourload

TY 4 Stroke Master
I see the big #*$&@ radiator which is probably hooked up to a electric fan but are there any heat exchangers in the tunnel??

fourload said:
I see the big #*$&@ radiator which is probably hooked up to a electric fan but are there any heat exchangers in the tunnel??

It looks like there is a heat exchanger at the front of the tunnel as well. In the one photo that shows all the room under the engine you can see the exchanger in the tunnel. It looks pretty rivited in there as well, looks lots of work to replacd it if it is damaged.

Attachments

• Viper motor-chassis.jpg
    Viper motor-chassis.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 244
I believe it is pretty simular to the current Nytro shorty and XTX 1.25 set-up. Radiator with front heat exchanger panel.

I don't really have any issues with my Nytro cooling so this set-up should work fine.

Looking under the tunnel last night at the show I didn't see any models with a tunnel mounted exchanger, just a front exchanger a much larger radiator as well as a much larger fan.

It would be nice if there were coolers at the top of the tunnel...like most 2 strokes have.

For 2 season I never had any issues...last season in great conditions I had the light flashing regularily. I too added the MTX cooler and now have no issues...however in low snow conditions it runs up to 190ish ( gotta love having a temp gauge ). Yamaha should ensure that the sled runs cool...adding tunnel coolers on top of what they already have is the ticket.

THe new Viper has a much more open front grill to allow air flow through to the rad which should prove more efficent than the nytro hood set up. More cooler more fluid, more weight. We are speculating here.

Nytros will start to get hot because of slush build up between front heat exchanger and front of track. Usually happens to mine while riding on freshly groomed flat trails on a mid 20's plus degree day. The snow starts to get heavy and water laden and there are no bumps to knock the slush build up out. When the light comes on, I will pull over, reach between cooler and track, clean the slush out from side to side and then keep going. Usually within 1/2 mile or so the temp light goes out. I have added WaterWetter to the antifreeze and it does seem to help. I would suspect that the Viper may have the same issue as the cooling system will be similar to the Nytros. Maybe if the rad is larger that will help. Anyway if it happens, its not a big deal. Just clean to snow out and go.

Back