• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How long does itr take to ride from ironwood to lake of clouds?will I be ok for gas?

rtx moose

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder LTX LE,2007 RTX,2000 SRX700
How long does itr take to ride from ironwood to lake of clouds?will I be ok for gas?

You should be fine unless you don't get 12 mpg or more or have less than 10 gallon tank to get there but coming back is close. You can stop at the hoop & hollar on gogebic to top off if you are worried. They have good gas there. Its been 2 yrs since I made that specific ride and I don't think there is any other fuel up near the lake. That is about 35 miles into the ride to the hoop. Depending where you are leaving from in Ironwood the whole trip up is about 80 miles up, so top off on gogebic and then again on the way back

depending on the trail you take... after lake gogebic both trails are fairly wide and fast (102) is woods and winding but soon as you hit (11) its a 2 lane highway and super wide. there is fuel at any resort on lake gogebic. there is also fuel in white pine at the konteka (regular) which is right off the trail (1). you should have no issues with fuel. time might be different seeing how most of the them trails in that area have been less then great. not saying bad, the problem is that the snow has been awesome for the last few years. lake gogebic grooming has been a total hit or miss by the hour. groomers going down, warm temps, a lot of riders.

subaru2006

If you take 11N out of Wakefield, it takes you to the Porkies on Lake Superior. If you are worried, top off in Wakefield or Bessemer. Once you get up to Lake in the Clouds, you can come down and go through Silver City and take 1S and top off at the Konteka in White Pine, only gas between Wakefield and Bergland. Depending on what time you arrive at Konteka, you can grab lunch; great food and hospitality. Or, you can jump back on 1S down to Lake Gogebic. You've got BBB (Tom's famous Italian Beef sandwiches) or the Hoop (Great food and gas available from George and Carolyn) on the north end before you jump on 8W back toward Ironwood.
If you want a longer ride, you can take 1S on the west side of Lake Gogebic to Marenisco and run the grade, 2W, back to 8W by Bingo's.....stop in and say hello to Gene (Bingo).

so if I take 11 north out of wakefield how far till I will hit a gas station?will I be ok no matter what if I top off in wakefield..how long does it take to go from ironwood to porcupine?

Hi Marty F,
First, 11N goes north between Bessemer and Wakefield; from that junction, it is 47 miles to the bottom of the hill going to Lake in the Clouds. It is 16 miles round trip from that point up and back to Lake in the Clouds. From that point, it is 9 miles to gas. So if I calculated correctly, it is 72 miles from Bessemer/Wakefield to White Pine for gas.
Then Lake Gogebic is 12 miles south in Bergland. Then its between 18 & 25 miles back to Wakefield. Around 16 miles is Bingo's, Gene has gas there also. He is on the east end of Wakefield.
Hope that helps.
Pray for Snow!!!!!

so how long in hours minutes from ironwood to lake of the clouds?

also how long to pats Yamaha from lake of the clouds?

Hi again Marty,

Depending on how fast you ride and trail conditions, it can be as little as 2 1/2 or as much as 4 hours to get to Lake in the Clouds.

If you are going to Pat's, you'll definitely want to go to White Pine on trail 1 and catch 12E/N through Ontonagon. It will be about 2 - 3 hours to get to Greenland. Coming out of Greenland, you can take 13N south through Rockland and get back to Bergland and trail 8W toward Ironwood.

Again, all the times are primarily trail dependent and how fast you and your group ride. If its on a weekend day, I don't recommend real high speed running on 11N, South Boundary Road. Weekdays, you can run a little faster and make it through sections in 15 or 20 minutes. A week ago this past Monday, we rode from the Porkie's junction with 11N to the turn to Wakefield before we saw another sled. 11N at that time needed to be groomed; what's nice is it was snowing and South Boundary is a snow route so we rode the road to Bingo's.

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Have a safe trip and leave some snow for me....lol. We'll be up next weekend and staying for 10 days.

Back