• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many people have removed their engine?

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Thinking of pulling the engine myself but a little intmidated by it. How many have done it and any special tools besides maybe a engine hoist?

I think I hav the basic steps down:

remove seat
remove fual tank cover
Remove 'fake vent' sides
Remove fual tank
Remove all intake stuff
Remove exhaust pipes (not remove them just unbolt from head)
Remove Primary Clutch (need a clutch puller?)
Remove Mag cover (this needed or can it come out with this intact?)
Drain and remove all oil and coolant hoses
Remove delta frame (not sure how this is attached and where?)
Un-plug CDI and Voltage regulator, leave wiring lay
Remove bolts from motor mounts and hoist her out

Lastly how much does the engine weigh with everything intact as it comes out? I would be doing it by myself for the first time so I'm estimating a week if I was careful and doing it on the evenings.

I'm trying to save teh $600 in labor for someone else to do it for me. Thanks!

Familyman and I did his. The 2 of us picked it up by hand and hoisted it out. He put it back in by himself. We had all of the plastic off of his to make it easier. Maxdlx

Any big items that were obstacles? Any tips? I'm not sure if the MAG can be left on or not, also not sure about the wiring, some say it can be left in some say it all comes out.

Better ask Brent, my memory isn't that good. Her did most of the prep and reinstall. I was just there fro the brawn, not the brains. LOL

You can leave the wiring in although you will end up with most of it disconnected anyways to remove the top of the frame. The mag can stay in place and the motor will lift straight up, 2 guys can pull it out no problem. If I remember correctly there are 6 bolts towards the front and 4 at the back to remove the top of the frame, but you will see them easily once its stripped down.

Thanks I'm still a little worried about tackling this myself, not sure if I have the time to commit to it. Keep the tips coming and I may develop some motivation LOL! Thanks!

I've done it twice on my turbo sled and twice on my friends turboed apex. You can do it, just take your time.

I will suggest removing the hood as well.

If you have a digital camera, take pictures as you take her apart, makes it much easier on assembly.

Get hold of the Service Manual, the whole assembly of your sled is described in text and images. If you need it I have it in PDF file format, file size 11 MB.

If you work real slow I will say you need 2 evenings to take everything apart.

One more thing, buy some beer, call your friends for help and you're done in one evening, don't buy too much beer tho, it may take a whole week, LOL.

Good luck on your project :)

Thanks RX, I'm going to start tonight or tommorrow, was going to this weekend but got busy prepping the shop. The more I look at it the more I think I can get the delta frame off and the engine ready to be pulled in about 1-2 evenings like you stated. Pulling it myself will be interesting I may need to commendeer some friends for that or get a hoist I guess. It will be a good time to polish some things while its out of the way :)

Thanks! I'll update when I get it tore apart, I will need moral support on assembly :)

Take a bunch of pictures of the hosing and electrical. Get it out of your way and go to town. As for the exhaust, dont remove it completely unless you really need 2. There are flex pipes at the motor, just remove that section.

I removed the upper frame and took all the electrical wiring off the sled for the most part. Clutch, stator, starter...everything on the motor can stay on the motor.

Putting it in, remember to rotate the hose clamp at the rear of the motor so you dont find it binding....Big problem to fix after you fire it up and antifreeze starts spewing :o|

As Paul stated, I put the motor back in by myself. Not such a good idea unless you are 6'+ and 250lbs of pear muscle like myslef :tg: .

Its a good experience and nothing special for tools. My sled was stripped completely because of the turbo project as well, but alot of fun. Perfect time of year to start.

the delta box does not have to be completely removed to pull motor. remove front and side bolts, steering linkage bolts, pull it back and lift the left (clutch) side up and flip it over to the right, this will allow acess to motor.

Making good progress with the exception of that friggen coolant nut on the delta frame, the insert is spinning in the delta frame, if it wasn't for this I would have it ready to lift out by tommorrow.

FAMILYMAN said:
As for the exhaust, dont remove it completely unless you really need 2. There are flex pipes at the motor, just remove that section.

Do you mean unbolt the flex from the head or leave that on and unbolt the clamps and pull the engine with the flex sections installed? I'm assuming you meant the first option, just get a new gasket and I'm good to go?

Back