• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many shims should be on the jackshaft for secondary clutch?

sethryder

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 phazer fx
went to put my secondary clutch back on after cleaning and noticed that the manual showed 4 shims on the secondary shaft (#4,#2 in manual). My jackshaft only had the two washers and one shim. My clutch is also able to slide in and out 1/16 on the jsckshaft. You guys only have one shim and some secondary float (back n forth movement) or am i missing shims? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 677
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 772
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 463

That sounds about right. What does the manual say?

The manual shows a washer, 2 shims, then the secondary followed by two more shims and then a washer and bolt. My jackshaft had a washer, then the secondary, then one shim, one washer, and bolt. When mine is assembled u can see about 1/16" of the jackshaft spline exposed before the washer/bolt.

On my Phazer, there was one washer (of 'medium' thickness) that went on the jackshaft first, then the secondary goes on, then there was one very thin washer, one medium thickness washer, and one really thick washer, then the bolt that goes into the end of the jackshaft. If I remember correctly, the movement back and forth is actually called for in the manual, and the shims can be different from one sled to the next because they help get the secondary properly aligned to the primary. Look on pages 2-26 and 2-27 of the manual for more information about the free play and alignment, shims, etc.

Last edited:
Full instructions and clearances

Attachments

• Sheave adjustment.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,057

Back