• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How much better is Sidewinder VS Nytro XTX

jason22

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro
hi guys

Tried looking through all the threads to see if anyone had done a comparison to The Nytro xtx. And found nothing. Which is surprising .

Can you convince me the Winder is worth the upgrade? Or should I say the The $17.000. Vs my Nytro xtx Supercharged?

I'm a purest and just find it hard getting past the Cat part.
BUT there had to be a time where you say well maybe .

I love the new 850 Doo's BUT just can't past the 2 stroke part. My luck it pop within 1000km so I'm thinking stay with ol faithful Yamaha.

I like the Nytro but as you know you can only throw so much money at before you say when.

My biggest problem with Nytro is the engine breaking. I've added the YPY spring and 14.5 rollers who he'd helped.
Second gripp is the reverse. It's a pain in butt to have to remove glove just to get paw around leave. And it's just down rite awkward to use.
It has all new revalved shocks and has Star Suspension kit . Doesn't ride to bad really but then again I'm used of the old 2000 sxr sleds.

And as you know there's not much storage space or a place to put a bag.

I know the Winder has electric reverse But did the get rid of the engine breaking or is it still there?

Or if you could point me in. The direction of a thread That has this info it be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

I made the swap from a 2012 xtx 1.75 with about every performance adder while staying NA and now have a BTX LE with the track cutdown to 1.75, the front suspension is way better than the nytro the power for me was huge improvement, the rear on the BTX isn't a huge improvement with the fox float evol shock but the ltx rides amazing compared to mine, I don't think you will be disappointed it is very smooth and has less engine braking than the nytro, if you trail ride go ltx with 1.75 I prefer or if you ride off trail the BTX is awesome with a 2.5in track it will out pull a turbo axys up hill!

I had an 08 Nytro and didn't like it at all. My Nephew has a Nytro XTX and I like it even less than my 08. When it comes to ride , handling ergos and pretty much everything else the Nytro isn't even in the same league as the SW. I really like my SW and enjoy riding it. I never could say that with any Nytro I ever rode or owned.

Sidewinder is a nice sled but in my opinion a nytro with a front end kit and a turbo or supercharger is a ton of fun, has amazing power, and rides decent. Is the sidewinder a better sled? yeah, but is the upgrade worth that amount of money? In my opinion no. I love the seating position on the Nytro though, it is so comfortable for me being a taller guy. If you don't have a front end kit on your sled yet, throw skinz concept kit on there and run it. I don't have trouble using the reverse level with gloves on. I actually have had to take my gloves off more often to use the sidewinder reverse to hit that little inset button than with the nytro's lever. Engine breaking is present on both sleds but at a level that doesn't really bother me. Full disclosure, I have a Nytro with the MCXpress 190 turbo on it as well as a new sidewinder LTX LE. Any other specific questions let me know.

ThAnks for the response guys. I think the biggest thing that gets me is the price tag of the Winder. That's a lot of dough for 2 months riding in my area.
I like the seating position of the Nytro. Makes for standing very easy.

Nadekeys
I do have the MPI charger on it so I'm not losing. That much power compared to Winder
And it came with a Zbros 43 +1 front end. With a Star Suspension linkage kit in rear
With rebuilt/revalved shocks to my Wieght
To me the the only thing I mite be gaining is the electric reverse on Winder .
Unless the Winder is that much of a upgrade from Nytro to make me say wow.

XP123 what didn't you like about the Nytro?

ThAnks for the response guys. I think the biggest thing that gets me is the price tag of the Winder. That's a lot of dough for 2 months riding in my area.
I like the seating position of the Nytro. Makes for standing very easy.

Nadekeys
I do have the MPI charger on it so I'm not losing. That much power compared to Winder
And it came with a Zbros 43 +1 front end. With a Star Suspension linkage kit in rear
With rebuilt/revalved shocks to my Wieght
To me the the only thing I mite be gaining is the electric reverse on Winder .
Unless the Winder is that much of a upgrade from Nytro to make me say wow.

XP123 what didn't you like about the Nytro?

I had an 08 Nytro the first year. I hated the way it rode and handled. It was very unpredictable and unstable. It could surprise you at anytime and send you right off the trail. It took a lot of work to make it not scary to ride. The engine was not smooth either and that probably had more to do with the clutching. I never enjoyed riding that sled and moved on to the 1200 Doo and that sled did everything a thousand times better than the Nytro. My Nephew has a 2011 Nytro XTX that I rode a couple years ago and to my surprise I hated it just as much as my 08. I had a 06 Apex that was a much better all around sled than any Nytro I have ever rode. The Sidewinder is so much better than any Nytro or Apex it isn't even close in my opinion. I even like the way it handles better than my 1200 Doo's and that says a lot.

Here's my 2 cents: I rode a stock '09 Nytro once & swore i would never ride one again! That being said, i heard from many, that with the front end kit & all set up that they are awesome especially with turbo's or superchargers. Yours sounds dialed in & PAID for. For 2 months, $17,000 plus a couple grand in fix it extra's & personnel extra's, I say..............ride what you got........if you win the Lotto or your wife happens to slip & fall to get that insurance money, then buy a Winder'....and throw a party & invite all us TYers

Last edited:
Had an 11 XTX.

Did this, that and the other to it, liked it a lot. Enough so that I sold it to someone I actually liked.

My Sidewinder XTX is 10 times the sled, from top to bottom.

That's all I will say, because there is nothing more to say.

Had an 11 XTX.

Did this, that and the other to it, liked it a lot. Enough so that I sold it to someone I actually liked.

My Sidewinder XTX is 10 times the sled, from top to bottom.

That's all I will say, because there is nothing more to say.

Great response Snake!!

I would think the Sidewinder is exactly as you say...10x/or head and shoulders above the Nytro. I mean it's chassis alone(shocks all around and front end set up) is light years better, and the 998 Turbo along with all its purpose built plumbing and tech is just cutting edge all around! Of course all of this goodness comes with a hefty price, but if you can swing it, I don't think you could possibly go wrong updating a Nytro to a new Sidewinder one bit!!

But If you like your Nytro that much, and don't have or maybe feel like dumping the cash that the Winder commands...then I get that too!!

You could buy a used well kept one far less than17,000.00, with less miles than your Nytro. Way newer.

Turbo or Supercharged or N/A does not matter... My Nytro XTX was the worse handling sled ever built by an OEM. Probably, the worst sled ever built by Yamaha. The Nytro does not hold a candle to the Procross chassis. Every OEM has issues... Nytros had sub frame issues in 08... So, get over the quality of the Yamaha thing. I have owned sleds from all oem's. There is no comparing the Nytro to the Procross, because the Nytro is not even in the same league as the Procross. From a quality standpoint, the Apex is more comparable, but it still does ride or handle near like a Sidewinder/TCAT...

Turbo or Supercharged or N/A does not matter... My Nytro XTX was the worse handling sled ever built by an OEM. Probably, the worst sled ever built by Yamaha. The Nytro does not hold a candle to the Procross chassis. Every OEM has issues... Nytros had sub frame issues in 08... So, get over the quality of the Yamaha thing. I have owned sleds from all oem's. There is no comparing the Nytro to the Procross, because the Nytro is not even in the same league as the Procross. From a quality standpoint, the Apex is more comparable, but it still does ride or handle near like a Sidewinder/TCAT...

Says the guy with a Nytro for an avatar pic lol

I rode my friends SW and love the power and the suspension but didn't like the riding positioning compared to my Nytro. I really like the ergos on the Nytro with a steering relocate. No, it's not the best handing, turning, or fastest out there but I'm happy with it and have done little improvements over the years. Both sleds have their issues with reliability but I'd personally say the Nytro has less. To be fair, the majority of the SW issues seem to be non engine related.

Lol I thought this thread looked vaguely familiar.
Might've been the 1st thread I read when I joined 3.5 years ago...
What a bump.
;)

I can't directly compare the two, but I can smash together some feedback of my previous two sleds (a Phazer GT, which is the same front end as the Nytro, and a SR Viper XTX SE, which is the same powertrain). Overall, I'm MUCH happier with the power of the SideWinder (XTX LE with the QS3s all around and a Backcountry X 1.75 track) since it'll sit quite happily at 80+ MPH and there's still throttle left for more on those sweeping logging roads or long railroad beds, which is something neither the Viper or Phazer could do (for obvious reasons). The front end handling of my SideWinder (with Curve XS skis) is only slightly better than my Viper (which came with the Arctic Cat style skis, not the Tuner set-up that was more of a terrible band-aid), but I was impressed at how much the Tuner skis improved the handling of the Phazer (it took a lot of body movement, but that ski would never lift unless you were turning tight and hard and darting never existed with the Tuners). However, the front end ride was still pretty garbage and I broke plenty of parts that shouldn't have broken. Even on my Viper, it was the Yamaha parts that broke more often (and the Arctic Cat parts only broke when I was doing something stupid and outside of what the sled was designed for). Even in 250+ miles of 3' whoops, my Viper took all of it in stride at 75 MPH so long as I could keep that nose up. Off trail, the SideWinder is absolutely second to none. I tested a Ski-Doo 850 E-TEC Backcountry and was disappointed at how little power it felt like it had when messing around off trail. A stab of the throttle and my 'Winder pulls hard and never lets up.

It sounds like you've made upgrades to improve the handling and ride quality of your Nytro. I can't knock too much for the Arctic Cat quality (or apparent lack thereof) because somethings are pretty well designed and thought out for the guy who does most of the work on his sled. In less than a few minutes, I can have all the visible body panels and seat off and everything is pretty well accessible for oil changes, slider replacement, greasing the front a-arms, so on and so forth. And I also know that guys knock the Viper and SideWinders because they're not built by Yamaha (and don't have the alleged quality), but while it's a little rough around some of the edges, I'm impressed with how well the sled handles, the options it came with, and many other things.

Now to your question - would I (if I was you) upgrade from your current sled to a Winder? The short answer - no. The long answer - only if there was one that was available at a rocking deal.

Back