• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How Much Is Too Much

Katannilik1

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 VK540, 2010 VKPro, 2014 Viper
Hi everyone I am new to TY here but thanks for having me. My question is how many studs can be fit in the centre of my 08 Multipurpose track. I live in the Arctic and this machine will be used for heavy hauling. Our trail conditions is concrete like snow covering the tundra and frozen rivers and lakes. Our area is fairly Hilly and I do not need to make any sharp corners, no trees to worry about here. I will be re-gearing the machine to allow more use full torque to the track at starting and slower speeds. I am thinking somewhere in the area of 228 studs, four per window all in double plates. Is it true that a double plate supports studs better and will decrease the risk of pulling studs? Thank You for any of your input on this.

Double plates do help but you only really need 1 per HP. Id do more like 4 then 2 then 4 and you would only need them up the middle.

Thanks for the reply MrSled. I understand the 1/HP theory, but is that from a performance aspect. I do not need speed performance I need hook and drive at slower to moderate trail speeds. the weight of the rotating mass is not a concern either, due to my operating speeds being 50-60kph and less. Again our snow is concrete hard and frozen rivers and lakes.

Thanks for the reply MrSled. I understand the 1/HP theory, but is that from a performance aspect. I do not need speed performance I need hook and drive at slower to moderate trail speeds. the weight of the rotating mass is not a concern either, due to my operating speeds being 50-60kph and less. Again our snow is concrete hard and frozen rivers and lakes.

If you keep the speeds low, you could go nutso I guess for traction. The more studs close to the rails the better traction you will have... so keep the stud out of the center of the center belt.

Also more is not always better. It similar to dual carbides, where they spread the load out and do not bite as well as a properly shimmed single. If you cram so many studs on a track it can start to emulate a new smooth surface where each stud wont bite has hard. Of course there is a line. For better traction at slow speeds I may be more inclined to use longer studs with more penetration and less of them. If your getting pullout your getting traction! Doubles resist pull out because it cuts the traction of each stud in half. I think long singles may be best for you.

Also more is not always better. It similar to dual carbides, where they spread the load out and do not bite as well as a properly shimmed single. If you cram so many studs on a track it can start to emulate a new smooth surface where each stud wont bite has hard. Of course there is a line. For better traction at slow speeds I may be more inclined to use longer studs with more penetration and less of them. If your getting pullout your getting traction! Doubles resist pull out because it cuts the traction of each stud in half. I think long singles may be best for you.

Good point... Like lying on a bed of nails. Too many = too little psi on each nail.

Back