• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to clean the screen in the oil tank?

skip wareham

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Apex XTX
2012 Apex XTX. First time procedure, need guidance.

ApexOil (14).JPG

2012 Apex XTX. First time procedure, need guidance.

View attachment 155313

Remove the lower hose clamp, remove the hose and drain oil out of line and elbow. Remove the 2 Allen head screws that hold elbow into the tank and pull straight out. You will see the screen attached to the elbow. Clean it out with some gas or contact cleaner.

If you're doing this at the same time as an oil change, I always like to drain the oil from the oil tank first before loosening the clamp and removing the hose from the elbow. Even with draining the oil tank first, you will still get a fair amount of oil to come out of that hose and elbow so be sure to have drain pan ready.

If you're doing this at the same time as an oil change, I always like to drain the oil from the oil tank first before loosening the clamp and removing the hose from the elbow. Even with draining the oil tank first, you will still get a fair amount of oil to come out of that hose and elbow so be sure to have drain pan ready.

I just assumed he would not have a engine or tank full of oil at that point..LOL I must be asking to much.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/apex-oil-change.131613/

As soon as I hit the submit button, I too thought the same but left it just in case. When I clean the pickup screens on mine, I like to remove the oil tank as well but didn't want to dirty the water. But if he did remove the oil tank, might be a good time to add some rubber bushings on the one nut and the two bolts that secure the oil tank to help alleviate potential stress cracks and ultimate oil leaks.

Thanks guys. I will be doing this step in conjunction with end of season oil and filter change. First time cleaning the screen so it needs to be done. Will make sure oil tank is drained first.

FWIW, here's what the pickup screen looks like. Had my oil tank off so disassembled and snapped these photos for you. I usually don't clean the pickup screen every oil change but do every other or possibly three depending on mileage ridden that season.

OilPickUpScreen1.JPG

OilPickUpScreen2.JPG

I clean mine with WD-40 and some compressed air.

How often does someone clean this ? And what is a good product to use? Thanks. Just picked up a 2006 apex gt with 10,000 miles.

I would clean it probably every 2 years. It's easy to do so why not. Use Contact Cleaner spray.

i do mine every 2-3 years.

Is there anything else I should do. Tricks? Hacks?

well i do use white grease on the o ring on assembly when i use brake cleaner to clean the screen.

Back