• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to load a dead sled onto a trailer

KillerBee

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX LE 50th
Greetings
I’m looking for suggestions for loading a dead sled into an enclosed trailer that I can take along just in case. Sure come along winches work but are very slow. Anyone have a homemade winch idea like maybe a setup similar to what’s used on a boat trailer to haul a boat forward? Not really interested in any 12 volt winch set ups. I only have a two place in line so towing with another sled doesn’t accomplish this with much success. Thanks in advance!

i would use a set of tackle blocks with mounted hooks and at least 100' of rope if not using a winch or come along. sled would move as fast as you can pull the rope and you could tie it off to another sled to drive away from the trailer instead of pulling by hand.

That’s a pretty good idea. I will look into that possibility. Anyone else have other ideas?

Tough to do by yourself but I have just dragged them up the ramp, works great with a buddy. Not sure of faster way than block and tackle , come alongs are strong but SLOW. Boat winches are available and once bolted in will do the trick

Tough to do by yourself but I have just dragged them up the ramp, works great with a buddy. Not sure of faster way than block and tackle , come alongs are strong but SLOW. Boat winches are available and once bolted in will do the trick

“Works great with a buddy”. Maybe 30 years ago. I’m 61 so need all the help I can get!
Not that long ago had to load a buddys smashed apex. Even with a buddy I thought I was going to have the big one. Ha

Snowmobile dolly may help if your alone, keep it in the back of your truck or hang it on the wall of your trailer, a snatch block but you will have to have a anchoring point up front in your trailer to hook into, you could always buy a two stroke their so much lighter, there easier to drag and tow.

“Works great with a buddy”. Maybe 30 years ago. I’m 61 so need all the help I can get!
Not that long ago had to load a buddys smashed apex. Even with a buddy I thought I was going to have the big one. Ha
Agree I remember when I was 61 and its even harder now.,....LOL. Only got ya by a year. Sleds were lighter 30 years ago and we were stronger.....both have changed.

Cmon guys. Not giving up the 998!!
I liked Maim’s idea so ordered a couple snatch blocks and rope. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Yes I thought of about this. On my enclosed snowmobile trailer I have two doors at the front of the trailer for locking down the sled. I'm thinking I could pass a line via a snatch block from the truck thru the trailer to the sled. I like to do the same with my ATV trailer but that trailer has no doors up front. Both the sled and the ATV are 4-cycle - even my waverunner is 4 cycle (no more 2 cycle pains)
Also check-out https://nifty-lift.com/. The block and tackle will almost fit on your hand and it uses parachute cord. There are several you tube videos on-line lifting a snowmobile. Not cheap, and I keep it onboard the sled. Need to practice with it this summer.

Yes I thought of about this. On my enclosed snowmobile trailer I have two doors at the front of the trailer for locking down the sled. I'm thinking I could pass a line via a snatch block from the truck thru the trailer to the sled. I like to do the same with my ATV trailer but that trailer has no doors up front. Both the sled and the ATV are 4-cycle - even my waverunner is 4 cycle (no more 2 cycle pains)
Also check-out https://nifty-lift.com/. The block and tackle will almost fit on your hand and it uses parachute cord. There are several you tube videos on-line lifting a snowmobile. Not cheap, and I keep it onboard the sled. Need to practice with it this summer.
Veteran owned company too. Nice find!

Well you said not interested in 12 volt......but....I picked up a 1500# winch with a wireless remote for $50, mounted it on a winch plate from Amazon for $20 and use an axle strap to temporarily anchor it to a an anchor point in my enclosed trailers V nose. Add a homemade set of short jumper cables and a spare battery and it will load an Apex in about 2 minutes from the ramp to the nose. All while you stand safely off to the side using your thumb. It sits in a tub ready to go when not needed.

Back