• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to remove A-arms from spindles?

Raceit369

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX SE
I need to remove the A-arms from the spindles. I don't want to damage the arms or spindle and especially not the ball joints. Any advice? I remember seeing something about using a threaded rod and nut to push the ball joint up through the spindle. How is this done? Any other ideas.
Thanks
Mitch

There are a couple ways. You can use a tool called a pickle fork but it needs to be properly sized and if not careful it can rip the rubber ball joint boot. The other way is to apply pressure with a pry bar between the spindle and the a-arm in the direction the ball joint comes out. With pressure use a heavy hammer to give it a solid hit on the spindle were the stud wedges into the arm and it will pop it out. This to can cause damage if not careful also.

Both methods require raising the front of the sled so the ski is hanging.

Pickle fork.

This method is easier with two people. I used my foot to apply the pressure which is somewhat akward.

Last edited:
Now those are NICE pictures. Hate it when people try to show something and I need a magnifying glass.

Great info guys!!!!

A tapered ball joint is easiest released using the hammer method shown. This "rings" the metal so that the taper pops out. Difficult to do without harming the spindle, but well illustrated above.

A tapered ball joint is easiest released using the hammer method shown. This "rings" the metal so that the taper pops out. Difficult to do without harming the spindle, but well illustrated above.

That's my preferred method. I've been using it for many years on all tapered ball joints and rod ends. When working in a diesel repair shop I never had much luck with pickle forks on larger equipment. The pry bar/hammer method always works as long as you have enough space to swing the hammer.

Great ideas guys and thank you. I am going to powdercoat the spindles but still do not want to damage anything. I'd prefer to not have a dented spindle. I tried the hammer trick over the weekend. It didn't budge but I just didn't know how hard to hit it without causing damage. Maybe I'll try it again with the jack idea. Does anyone else remember the threaded rod post? Any links would be appreciated.

I would agree with a prying and hammering method. I had one spindle off on my xtx and with some careful prying and hammering was able to do that without damaging any of the Powder coating on the spindle. Put masking tape on the end of your hammer as well as where you're hammering to help protect the painted surface or any painted surface that you're prying against.

In my last picture it appears that the spindle is scuffed were I hit it with the hammer but it's not. It's dirt left behind from the dirty greasy rag that I had protecting the spindle. It wiped off and you can't tell it was hit.

Normally one or two solid hard hits with plenty of pressure being applied will do the job. Don't be afraid to give it a good it.

Great ideas guys and thank you. I am going to powdercoat the spindles but still do not want to damage anything. I'd prefer to not have a dented spindle. I tried the hammer trick over the weekend. It didn't budge but I just didn't know how hard to hit it without causing damage. Maybe I'll try it again with the jack idea. Does anyone else remember the threaded rod post? Any links would be appreciated.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/removing-a-arm-from-spindle-help.130861/#post-1174762

I have done it to add more pressure before the hammer hit. But turning a nut out is going to gouge the spindle. Grizztracks method is going to be least destructive

Hygear suspension sells this tool for 28.99 and it works awesome I just used it on mine.
64-99-030.jpg

Back