• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to remove jackshaft?

sabrecat

Vendor
Hey guy, I had new chain and drivers put in under warranty and would feel better replacing the upper shaft bearing as well. I have it apart as far as i can go. All snap rings are out. I am guessing i need to take the left side bracket out with bearing holder. I think the shaft will slide out of chain case??

Any tip will be great!

Todd

Heat up the clutch side bracket with heatgun or torch. Make sure all c clips on chaincase and clutchside are removed. Then take a rubber mallet and hit the shaft from chaincase side and and the shaft and beating will pop out. slide out jackshaft from clutch side with bearing on shaft

Last edited:
Hey guy, I had new chain and drivers put in under warranty and would feel better replacing the upper shaft bearing as well. I have it apart as far as i can go. All snap rings are out. I am guessing i need to take the left side bracket out with bearing holder. I think the shaft will slide out of chain case??

Any tip will be great!

Todd
Yes you need to remove the bracket then the jackshaft will pull out towards you. Once out heat up the bracket around the bearing with a heat gun and it will come right off easily. You will need a press to get the bearing off the shaft.

Yes you need to remove the bracket then the jackshaft will pull out towards you. Once out heat up the bracket around the bearing with a heat gun and it will come right off easily. You will need a press to get the bearing off the shaft.
My bad I always take the bracket off. Learned something today. Thanks Marc.

No need to remove the bracket..imo just heat the bracket and the bearing pops out

When reinstalling the jackshaft.
Install bearing on shaft heat bearing to 75-80*c and put shaft in freezer.
Bearing will slide right on by hand.
Then put bearing and shaft in freezer and heat housing and bearing will slide in..

Note: when heating the bracket clutchside or brake caliper to install bearing get them nice hot since housing are thick.
If you don't heat enough bearing will stick 1/2 way in.. (bring housings to around 100*c)

Also the bearing on clutch side is a custom 6205 and can only be purchased from yamaha. (Inner race bore is smaller)

Last edited:
If you search here, guys have made a bearing driver to re install the jackshaft. Still need to heat the housing up real good.

I made a driver from a piece of pipe and washer and had it welded. Other guys have done some creative things using threaded pipe pieces from Home Depot.

MS

If you search here, guys have made a bearing driver to re install the jackshaft. Still need to heat the housing up real good.

I made a driver from a piece of pipe and washer and had it welded. Other guys have done some creative things using threaded pipe pieces from Home Depot.

MS
All 4 driveline bearings will slip right into place by freezing the bearing and heating the housings but it is a good idea to have the right tools ready incase the bearing sticks before seating completely.
I have done many and never needed to tap any into place.

Used the heat gun for a little bit on the bearing holder and it came right out. The bearings are in good shape at 6500 miles.

Back