• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to service primary clutch on 06 Apex GT

jpilk99

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex GT
After getting my sled (just bought on Tuesday) up and running, I noticed that the primary clutch is not moving or engaging the belt. I'm trading texts with the person who sold it to me and he said, "you probably need to service the clutches". I've never done this before and not finding anything on this for the Apex. Any thoughts?

For what it's worth, he said the previous/original owner installed a clutch kit and I see that the secondary is a "Super Torquer". Not sure if anything was done to the primary.

Thanks for any suggestions/guidance.

Jay

that is a good guide on how to do it. i tend to blow them out with compressed air a couple times a season to cut down on the wear from belt dust.

Stoopid question, but, when I first go to remove the bolt holding the primary clutch in, I assume I'm turning counter clockwise; as the clutch spins clockwise during operation?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the primary is under pressure so to be very careful taking it off. I didn't think that was the case. Any comments (jokes at my expense) are appreciated. Merry Christmas.

Jay

You can do a decent cleaning/inspection with the clutch on the sled. Just remove the 6 smaller bolts, 10mm socket, yes there is spring pressure but you can back the bolts out slowly and then push in on the cap for the last bolt. Pay close attention to the cover alignment so it goes back on same place, I usually mark it with a small punch. Also make sure all the bolts are the same, sometimes I have seen a combination of bolts with and without washers and I assume this is for fine tuning the clutch balance. If this is the case try to put the same bolts where they came from. Just take a picture before disassembly. With this cover off and the spring removed you can pretty much inspect all the components and bushings for wear.

Stoopid question, but, when I first go to remove the bolt holding the primary clutch in, I assume I'm turning counter clockwise; as the clutch spins clockwise during operation?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the primary is under pressure so to be very careful taking it off. I didn't think that was the case. Any comments (jokes at my expense) are appreciated. Merry Christmas.

Jay
Yes Counterclockwise to loosen bolt. Clutch is turning counterclockwise while running if looking at it from left side as sitting on sled. Try not to turn clutch clockwise. Bolt is torqued in two steps. First to 85 FtLbs then loosen and Torque to 43 FtLbs. Use a Oak Handle or even a breakerbar in between the towers to a a-arm or body to hold clutch but dont turn it Clockwise since can cause timing chain to skip or tensioner to be too tight.

Take the cover off & clean it as much as you can.
If you can't slide those sheaves in & out by hand you may have a rusty shaft or bad bearing.
At that point you may have to bring it someplace to remove the Spider unless you have tools & the Means to do it.

Back