• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to tell difference between 08 and 09 A arms

Jeffz

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro RTX 40th
2007 Phazer "RTX"
I was sold an 08 RTX which claimed to have the updated 09 front end parts. I'm a little skeptical. I need to order bushings and ball joints and want to make sure I order the correct parts. I've noticed pictures of the 09 bushings look like the are all the same size where as the 08's have 4 smaller ones. Also, are the ball joints any different between the years, or will any year ball joint work? Thanks!

The tie rod mounts on the spindles also should look like the one one the right if it's been updated.
left= 2008, right=2009 or newer

If there are two holes in the lower a-arm for the stabilizer link it's a newer geometry a-arm (09+).
lower a-arm: bottom= 2008, upper= 2009 or newer

In o8 the upper a-arm tube was much smaller in diameter than the lower a-arm tube and in 09 they changed the upper a-arm size to match lower a-arm. The 08's need two different sized a-arm bushings for top and bottom and 09+ arms take all the same size.
upper a-arm: Top= 09 and newer, Bottom= 08 only

Thanks Grizz. Looks like I was sold an 08 with 08 parts. Does the difference in the newer arms make big difference in handling? I'll be using the JRE Trail King spindles. Maybe I should just find a sweet of 09+ arms.

I actually prefer the 08 geometry. Once it's setup properly a 08 will handle as well or maybe better than the newer nytro with less steering effort. I never ran the JRE spindles because I don't like the idea of dropping the front that low and without modifying the rear suspension to match the change I'd think the balance would be off. If you're going to run them make sure you install a good skid plate like Mountaintech's.

Maybe the update was a newer subframe. Does your frame have a center gusset between the lower a-arms?

I have the JRE's on my 08 Nytro RTX and you run a little more air in the Floats and you are fine. On the Developers advice I am trying shocks that are a little longer- 18.25" as this gives a little more room for the suspension. The spindles do work very well, sharp turning, better handling and yes alot less bump steer. As for ground clearance, lots of discussions on here and the best thing is get Mountaintechs skid plate as its great insurance! Doesnt matter on your setup, just get it!

I will also be switching to a set of longer Float 3s when I put the new spindles on. No need to change the rear skid mounting points on an RTX either. I have been considering the Mountain tech skid plate. Thanks for the help.

If you have the JRE spindles could you measure the spacing between upper and lower balljoints. I'm just curious.

I'll take my caliper home on my lunch break and measure it for you.

I actually prefer the 08 geometry. Once it's setup properly a 08 will handle as well or maybe better than the newer nytro with less steering effort. I never ran the JRE spindles because I don't like the idea of dropping the front that low and without modifying the rear suspension to match the change I'd think the balance would be off. If you're going to run them make sure you install a good skid plate like Mountaintech's.

Maybe the update was a newer subframe. Does your frame have a center gusset between the lower a-arms?

Grizz, just curious, when you ran the 08 geometry did you machine the upper ball joint?

Yes, I took about 2.5 mm off the ball joint for more negative camber.

Back