• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurley Mud Conditions 6-25-05

SledderSteve

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Rental
While recent dry weather conditions have dried up much of the mud, there is still fun to be had in what the locals call the "LaBrea Tar Pits" on trail 77 outside of Gile. The best way to take on the pits is to travel from Hurley towards Gile which allows you to cool your machine and/or body in the Montreal River.

The mud bog at Joanie's Sidekicks, affectionately known as "Joanie's Dirty Hole", appeared at first glance to all dried up. Joanie recently had some bad luck falling off a bar stool while attempting to do the pole in her bar but we're talking about the mud bog here. This writer soon learned that the dry crust was merely covering a seemingly bottomless pit of promordial ooze. It took two machines winching to get out of that one. :oops:

The Kodiak pilot in our group explained to me that I was doing it all wrong, more speed was required to glide smoothly across the top of the crust. He was wrong, twice, the second trip finding both rider and machine rolled into respective mudballs.

Film at Eleven ;)!

Steve, funny. Im still amazed people try to make it through Joanies hole. Ive never seen anyone make it through. We were the day after Joanie flopped off her pole on the bar. We felt bad and went and visited her at her house till 4:30 in the morning :shock: ..Did you notice the pole is gone...lol Hope you guys had fun...BBY

For what it's worth, I did in fact see a number of folks get in and out of Joanie's dirty hole without getting stuck during the Memorial Day rally. It simply wasn't going to happen this past weekend as that mud was more like glue than mud.

We'll all see what I'm talking about when Mr. Tom has the time to get the pics posted.

Glad to hear you guys were there to comfort Joanie Matt, she is truly one of the Northwoods special treasures. ;)!

memorial weekend seen a stock artic cat 500 just cruising all over the dirty hole

Yep, lots of different machines were doing it when I was there as well. I suspect it had to do with the mud having a high water content allowing the machines to float a bit.

The mud last weekend was like glue. :shock:

Back