• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane 190 install write-up

ateick

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'24 Rene XRS 900R
'18 SR Viper RTX (SOLD)
'20 Poo XCR 850 (SOLD)
The peak of turboing Vipers has probably passed but I enjoyed this project so much I thought I'd do a write-up of my experience. More used kits might start circulating around so hopefully someone finds this helpful.

First off my hats off to Hellflyer. A great seller, I bought his used kit and everything included and he was very helpful with my couple of questions. I had to get a few parts from Hurricane and they were responsive and quick to ship out.

The Hurricane instructions were very vague so I actually used the MCX and MPI instructions to give me an idea of what was required. I thought I would supplement that info with some extra details/tips. It may come in handy to somebody someday.

- remove panels and hood. Easy, STOP right there. If you have troubles with this then this project is not for you.

Hood off.jpg

- replace existing clutch kit with Hurricane kit which includes a purple secondary spring, new helix and primary arms. I used the stock primary spring Everything is set to go. Purple spring I set to 0-1 and it's tough to do on the machine. TIP - remove the secondary and do it on the floor/bench is my suggestion.

- remove exhaust. You will not need the rear exhaust spring. You will need to reuse the existing top and bottom rubber mount.

- remove stator plug and insert oil return fitting provided.

-remove stock airbox. Unplug temp sensor and remove it. You will need that later.

-remove throttle bodies. Need to disconnect coolant lines, fuel line and wire connector. TIP - loosen the steering column for more room to wiggle throttles off and you DO NOT have to disconnect throttle cable. There is enough slack to work on them especially with steering column bracket removed giving the steering some movement.

Carbs off.jpg

-change out injectors. Easy simple. Fuel rail off, unplug and pull, insert new.

Fuel Rail off.jpg

- remove nipples from back of each throttle body and install the multi-T line. I chose not to follow Hurricane's picture in their instructions for which ports to use. Trust what I say. I speak from experience. These port have a much smaller inside diameter and for me they didn't work well with the MAP sensor. Below is a picture from MPI's instructions that show the ports I ended up using. Ziptie everything to be safe and prevent leaks. Connect the Power Commander, MAP sensor and boost gauge to the multi-T.

MPI instructions vacuum lines.jpg

- The wiring harness provided is plug and play with the main harness located above the carbs. That wiring harness contains the Power Commander V and the connection for the map sensor. It draws power from the main harness but you do need to ground it to the chassis. Plug everything in and secure it. I ziptied everything to the main harness so that there would be some flexibility and movement to cushion any shocks.

PCV location.jpg

- remove bolt on engine block to the upper left of intakes. Install supplied oil supply line fitting and supply line. TIP - reuse copper gasket and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! Soft soft soft fitting. Again trust what I say. I speak from experience.

Oil supply bolt removed.jpg

- attach upper and lower rubber exhaust mounts to turbo assembly and install it. Insert top bolt loosely for now. TIP - at this point I was concerned because clearances seemed to be an issue and things were not fitting nicely. That's ok. Once you start to tighten things up it will come together.

Turbo Clearance.jpg

- connect the exhaust flanges together loosely with the three bolts. I had to use two c-clamps (thanks Hellflyer) and some effort to line up the flanges. Once lined up tighten them.

- now tighten the top bolt on the muffler mount. Move everything around to make sure that bolt goes in straight. Now everything should be located properly with no clearance/rubbing issues.

- connect oil supply line to top of turbo. Note: My kit was used so turbo was clocked properly already. Not sure if it comes like that from Hurricane.

- connect oil drain line hose loosely to fitting on bottom of turbo and fitting on stator cover.

- connect new airbox to carbs. Connect the black IAC hose at the bottom of the carbs and install and plug in the temp sensor. TIP - keeping the steering shaft loose can help with sliding the airbox on.

Airbox installed.jpg

- connect silicon tubing from turbo to air intake and from turbo to the new airbox.

- side panel. Lots more heat generated here than with stock exhaust so I removed the foam at the top of the panel for more clearance and added some Extreme Weather Foil tape to the inside of the panel.

Side Panel foil tape.jpg

- AFR/Boost gauges. I installed mine to the right and left of the heat vent on the hood. Good flat area. The AEM gauges are 2 1/16" round. I used a 2" hole saw and did a little sanding to make it good and snug. Both gauges have dual cords coming out of them. One is a power cord and one goes to either the O2 sensor or boost sensor. I made sure both could be disconnected by the main wiring harness under the gauges so the hood could be removed easily. The lighter adapter is a good switched power source. It has a black and coloured line going to it. I taped into those lines.

Boost AFR gauges.jpg

- prime the turbo. Optional I guess but I really wanted to get some oil in there. Loosen the turbo oil drain hose slightly Unplug the fuel pump relay and turn over the sled 2-3 times for 5 second bursts to ensure oil is flowing to turbo. It won't gush out at this point but you should get some flow. Tighten up that oil drain hose when done.

- replace relay, hood, start and enjoy!

PS - make sure you add boost and afr gauges. It's the only way you can tell if things are working properly and are staying within safe limits.

Final Install.jpg

Last edited:

Nice write up and details. No tuning or did you do a flash?

Thanks! Hurricane kit comes with a Power Commander V which Hurricane pre-loads with an appropriate fuel map. It's plug and play with the main harness. Really simple. So simple I forgot to highlight it in the write-up. Lol. I'll add some detail about it.

I know hellflyer well and you definitely got a good score buying his kit!!!!
He is very meticulous!

Enjoy the new power!!

Nice writeup. I've been contemplating a turbo for mine, but I find as NA it is so explosive out of the hole and instantly responsive. I don't know if I want to trade off response for the mid range.

ateick did you get this bad boy running yet? If so what was the problem with your vacume and AFR numbers

Nice write up Nick! Wish I had it when I installed it. As for losing bottom end ,it doesn’t change, that’s the nice thing about the 190 kit with no compression reduction it’s like stock

ateick did you get this bad boy running yet? If so what was the problem with your vacume and AFR numbers

No not to my liking yet. I don't think I have a vacuum leak anymore. I've tested pretty thoroughly for it. On my laptop I see the vac numbers bouncing around -2 to -5 and it bounces around on my AFR gauge as well. My problem is the map on the PCV. Wayyy too lean and hot. I've added 5% to the entire map and warm idle AFR finally came down to a much cooler more resonalble 12.7ish. Now we've had an 8 degree day here and the snow has disappeared so no test runs anytime soon!!!

I'm considering either taking it to a local Hurricane dealer for proper mapping or buy an AutoTune. My PCV came with the original Hurricane 190 kit map but for me it's not usuable. The dealer would be able to confirm. All good though. Been learning a ton and haven't really missed any part of the season yet. Just proceeding cautiously so I don't blow it up. It's only got 600km on it!

Nice write up Nick! Wish I had it when I installed it. As for losing bottom end ,it doesn’t change, that’s the nice thing about the 190 kit with no compression reduction it’s like stock

Thank you. Looking forward to getting out with you one day and racing you on that new sled!

Keep pecking away at it and you'll get her figured out. Not only that you will know how everything work when your done.

Fine tuning continues. Finally a skiff of snow today. In addition to the 5% fuel I added to the entire orginal map (which has given me a nice rich start up and idle AFR of 12.7) I've added 5% more to the entire 3000 rpm and above range. AFR's in this range were still mid 13's to 14 and WOT was 11.5. Hopefully more testing tonight. :sled2:

Well getting rain today (ugh) but managed to get out yesterday for another tuning session.

The additional 5% below 3000 has me even closer. WOT is 10.7. Perfect! Mid and high rpms are 12.8-13. Still need to work on these areas. I want mids to be just over 13 for some cruising fuel economy and the higher rpms mid 12's so I'm going to take away 2.5% mid and add 2.5% high.

Very interesting that this 2018 requires a ton more fuel added to the map than the original Hurricane 190 fuel map called for. The 7000+ rpm area will end up being adjusted up in fuel by 12.5%! Newer flashes must have really leaned this motor out Oh and temps are so much better now.

Hey Nick how much boost are you pulling ?
What max rpm are you running? Hope you get some snow :) Bruce

Hey Bruce. Pulling 6#'s. I've seen peak rpm at 8900 but I haven't been able to hit a lake or anything for a good long WOT run. Once I do I plan on touching base with you to check on my clutching. Spent most of the last month trying to tune this thing properly with not a lot of snow.
We are finally getting cold temps and snow this week. Simcoe just froze. Trailered up to Haliburton last week for a good run and heading up again this week.
How are conditions up where you are? Things must be finally opening up.

Yes finally getting some snow in the Ottawa valley. I was just reading another post on vacuum lines and read yours and another member was having problems at idle with his vacuum lines set up like yours. I set mine up like Hurricane’s and never had a problem. I am running same rpm as you I have tried it @ 8600 and did not like it.
The weights are set up at 76 grams
2 tungsten in heel
0 middle
1 washer 1 o ring in tip
With a dalton Black/teal primary spring
Epi purple 0-1 secondary
51/43 helix
21/41 86 chain
Running on hard pack 117mph

Back