• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane Apex 2011/2018 172HP Upgrade Kit

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 rtx se
2011 apex xtx
has anyone tried this setup.....is it worth the bucks

..... upgrade kit includes Power Commander with specified map, Air Box mod, and clutch kit.....

You should do a search on that kit and take it from there.....

I'm a little skeptical as I've never seen an NA Apex dyno over 168. If I owned one I would add a oxygen sensor with fuel programmer to dial in WOT A/F

I'm a little skeptical as I've never seen an NA Apex dyno over 168. If I owned one I would add a oxygen sensor with fuel programmer to dial in WOT A/F
I'm gonna take that a step further and say that with the basic bolt on mods that most go with, 155hp is more realistic. 160hp is difficult to obtain without a generous dyno. And that is for both first and 2nd gen Apex's. My first gen with all the bolt on mods, plus porting, and slightly higher compression pulled 162hp on the dynotech dyno.
When I see an Apex with bolt on mods pull 170+ on the same dyno that I tuned on, then I'll be a believer.
And majorly impressed!
Do not take this as a slam against the vendor in the title. They do GREAT work, and us snowmobilers are fortunate to have them and all the great products and support they provide.

There’s both positive and not so positive feedback on this package if you do a search. I ran a similar package from Ulmer on my ‘11 and it was certainly stronger than a bone stock sled, but the difference wasn’t earth shattering. I was interested in the sled performing the best that it could, day to day, in the variety of conditions that I used it in, and that’s exactly what I got.

There’s both positive and not so positive feedback on this package if you do a search. I ran a similar package from Ulmer on my ‘11 and it was certainly stronger than a bone stock sled, but the difference wasn’t earth shattering. I was interested in the sled performing the best that it could, day to day, in the variety of conditions that I used it in, and that’s exactly what I got.
Excellent description and evaluation.
Doesn't get any more accurate than that.

D&D offered a similar package. Programmer, longer air horns, and bulls eyes for the air box. It was the most I ever saw an Apex dyno, high 160's, the airhorns moved the power peak up and carried into high 10'000s more so than stock.
I once installed, and it worked well. Only problem was it was horrible dealing with them, and took almost a year to get everything, yes I said a year.

Ya I remember that. That was when the 2nd gen Apex was first coming out. I seem to remember that particular sled was a pre-production unit. No doubt meant to bolster sales of the new Apex. I seem to remember that unit being about 160hp. That dyno session is still on either D&D's website or on youtube.
Actual production units never achieved those numbers.
Which is so often the case.
The actual hp numbers of the 2nd gen ended up being no better than the 1st gen. Although they did make a bit more midrange power because of the exup and better exhaust ports.

Ya I remember that. That was when the 2nd gen Apex was first coming out. I seem to remember that particular sled was a pre-production unit. No doubt meant to bolster sales of the new Apex. I seem to remember that unit being about 160hp. That dyno session is still on either D&D's website or on youtube.
Actual production units never achieved those numbers.
Which is so often the case.
The actual hp numbers of the 2nd gen ended up being no better than the 1st gen. Although they did make a bit more midrange power because of the exup and better exhaust ports.
No, that's not the one I'm talking about...... but I know the one you are talking about.

Oh, my bad. I've never heard of a N/A Apex putting up those kinda numbers. Hard to believe it could do that with simple bolt-ons. Would still like to see it put up those numbers at Dynotech.
Different dyno, different #'s.

Oh, my bad. I've never heard of a N/A Apex putting up those kinda numbers. Hard to believe it could do that with simple bolt-ons. Would still like to see it put up those numbers at Dynotech.
Different dyno, different #'s.
It was at DT

A TY member? Would love to see the charts posted.
I was but not anymore. I recall the early 2011 prototype Apex made 163HP. All I can tell you is the D&D kit made high 160's with a wider powerband right up to 11000.
A lot of stock Apex early and late models were only 150-152.
What I noticed was that the Apex made much more power with the A/F in the mid 12's. Any that didn't have good top power were in the 13's

I made 166 hp on a 2007 Apex RTX at Dynotech. K&N intake, straight 0 weight oil, modified ignition & fuel maps, it made over 164 hp from 10,400-12,200 (higher rev limiter). Completely stock engine & exhaust (this is a sled we grass dragged in the stock classes).

Back