• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane knock light bulletin

Turboflash

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. PEFI Stg 3R
2 weeks ago, I went through the procedure of taking off these short boots with the subject clamps on each side. There were 6 clamps total, each with the spacer in them. From factory, the spacers in mine were .250" long. I took .075" off each leaving them at .175" (I previously read on TY that some guys shortened them to .150" which would be .100" off each one). Based on doing some experimenting, I felt that was definitely enough to create allot more squeeze or clamp on both the throttle body and spigot on head. It was a huge PIA to get these off. On my engine, the boots are not interchangeable cylinder to cylinder. Each has only one place it can go. This is due to notches in the rubber on the head side which mate with a machined matching boss on head. Add, the clamps can only be clocked in one place due to rubber ribs on the boots that only match clamp in one spot. The clamps that clamp the boots to the throttle bodies can be accessed from below the throttle bodies. The clamps that clamp the boots to the head can only be accessed on top from the thermostat/air cleaner side as that's the way the allen-head bolt faces. It's a real PIA because the thermostat housing and all the hoses are right in the way!
I had to remove the air cleaner and housing, remove the intake plenum, remove the plastic cross-over tube between air cleaner and turbo, remove fuel pressure regulator, remove fuel rail after removing fuel injectors. Did not remove throttle bodies. Only then could I pull the throttle bodies out enough to get boots off to get these little spacers out. Shortened all spacers and re-assemble. For me it was about a 3 hour job. I decided to install the boots onto the head side. Getting an allen bit into the clamp screw was really tough. There are a 4mm allen. I had about a 2" 4mm allen wrench I cut off and put into a 4mm 1/4" drive socket. But still it was very hard to get the allen into the mag and middle cylinder clamp screws. PTO end not so hard. The thermostat housing and lots of hoses and wiring is in the way. If I did it again, I would have a long (about 6") 4mm ball-end allen wrench so I could enter the clamp screw from an angle. That would help.
Got it done after quite a few cuss words and about 4-5 beers! LOL Glad it's done.
I couldn't see evidence or leaking but have no way of knowing if they were. When I tightened them up after shortening them, I could see the rubber bulging out on both the throttle body and the spigots. Good interference for sure. PIA!

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
2 weeks ago, I went through the procedure of taking off these short boots with the subject clamps on each side. There were 6 clamps total, each with the spacer in them. From factory, the spacers in mine were .250" long. I took .075" off each leaving them at .175" (I previously read on TY that some guys shortened them to .150" which would be .100" off each one). Based on doing some experimenting, I felt that was definitely enough to create allot more squeeze or clamp on both the throttle body and spigot on head. It was a huge PIA to get these off. On my engine, the boots are not interchangeable cylinder to cylinder. Each has only one place it can go. This is due to notches in the rubber on the head side which mate with a machined matching boss on head. Add, the clamps can only be clocked in one place due to rubber ribs on the boots that only match clamp in one spot. The clamps that clamp the boots to the throttle bodies can be accessed from below the throttle bodies. The clamps that clamp the boots to the head can only be accessed on top from the thermostat/air cleaner side as that's the way the allen-head bolt faces. It's a real PIA because the thermostat housing and all the hoses are right in the way!
I had to remove the air cleaner and housing, remove the intake plenum, remove the plastic cross-over tube between air cleaner and turbo, remove fuel pressure regulator, remove fuel rail after removing fuel injectors. Did not remove throttle bodies. Only then could I pull the throttle bodies out enough to get boots off to get these little spacers out. Shortened all spacers and re-assemble. For me it was about a 3 hour job. I decided to install the boots onto the head side. Getting an allen bit into the clamp screw was really tough. There are a 4mm allen. I had about a 2" 4mm allen wrench I cut off and put into a 4mm 1/4" drive socket. But still it was very hard to get the allen into the mag and middle cylinder clamp screws. PTO end not so hard. The thermostat housing and lots of hoses and wiring is in the way. If I did it again, I would have a long (about 6") 4mm ball-end allen wrench so I could enter the clamp screw from an angle. That would help.
Got it done after quite a few cuss words and about 4-5 beers! LOL Glad it's done.
I couldn't see evidence or leaking but have no way of knowing if they were. When I tightened them up after shortening them, I could see the rubber bulging out on both the throttle body and the spigots. Good interference for sure. PIA!
Good info thanks!!!
I am going to tackle this hopefully next week

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
Take my word for it, before diving into project, get yourself a long (4-6") 4mm ball-end allen 1/4" drive socket. Snap-On and others make them. Or, you can make your own like I did. It will really help.
Will do!! Thanks

ClutchMaster

HUGE Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper 270 hurricane,
2002 Viper W/162 A.C. skid, SRX pipes &CDI, 780 BB

Did mine a couple years ago in the parking lot of Americinn in Two Harbors, 25 degrees outside, at least it was sunny! :mad:
:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:
Five beer job minimum!

nice write up TF!

1nc 2000

Lifetime Member Tim
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha FX Nytro RTX SE
Going after these spacers now.
What is the final measurement for the spacers after shortening them?
Thanks

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd

1nc 2000

Lifetime Member Tim
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha FX Nytro RTX SE
Thanks yamahmarc for the info.
Not a bad job with a 5" long ball Allen socket and foot long extension. Getting the clamp assembled on the bottom side of the boot then spinning it around worked great for the center and clutch side clamps.