• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane Performance header install question

yamman

Extreme
Just finishing installing header on 2020 SRX Sidewinder. Have 1/2 inch clearance between header pipe and fuel tank. Header came with 5 x 5 inch, and 10 x 10 inch of insulating material. I assume the 10 x 10 is installed on fuel tank. Also just wondering what others have for clearance.
Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like your install doesn't use a modified stock heat shield?
I think you have a couple options.
1. I would definitely re-insulate the gas tank with Thermo-Tec adhesive backed reflective shielding (https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/adhesive-backed-heat-barrier). I posted a few pics to show you how I did mine. From day 1 I always felt the stock insulation was poor and inadequate resulting in the tank getting hot and also heating up the fuel inside the tank so I re-did mine insulating the tank all the way across the tank from edge to edge with much better insulation.
2. Tommcat Performance sells some very good high quality heat insulating blankets for the 998 and specifically to fit over headers (https://shop.tommcatperformance.com/products/998-header-blanket-kit). He also has one to cover the turbo itself too which would allow you to not use that stock one that covers the intermediate one. I think they would be a very wise investment in your case. Can you imagine what happens if the tank melts?!!!! Catastrophic and very dangerous!

Attachments

• gas tank reinsulate2.jpg
    gas tank reinsulate2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 449
  • Tommcat header blanket.jpg
    Tommcat header blanket.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 539
Just finishing installing header on 2020 SRX Sidewinder. Have 1/2 inch clearance between header pipe and fuel tank. Header came with 5 x 5 inch, and 10 x 10 inch of insulating material. I assume the 10 x 10 is installed on fuel tank. Also just wondering what others have for clearance.
Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
Go on Hurricanes sight and click on header there are pics of what to do to original heat sheet. Also the little 5x5 is to wrap around coolant hose on clutch side.

Marc, I was thinking about doing just that once the tank was back on and i saw all the room there was between it and the header. I had already added more adhesive heat shield to the tank so it's probly just overkill. Next move is to get a good turbo cover that fits properly.

All I got was a header in the package when it arrived. Header for more clearance.
No instructions, no heat shields, just a couple of dents from shipping.
Is all this additional stuff necessary?

All I got was a header in the package when it arrived. Header for more clearance.
No instructions, no heat shields, just a couple of dents from shipping.
Is all this additional stuff necessary?
I would say yes!!!
When you modify the aluminum sheild you will end up with a section on header uncovered!! Also you will want to cover the hose clutch side!!

Damn I got quarantined so I can't go buy more chit. I will be in the garage this week tearing my sled apart and installing all my goodies.

Marc, I was thinking about doing just that once the tank was back on and i saw all the room there was between it and the header. I had already added more adhesive heat shield to the tank so it's probly just overkill. Next move is to get a good turbo cover that fits properly.
20201030_161451.jpg

I was looking at this flexible shielding!!
The stainless one withstands over 1800*

Damn I got quarantined so I can't go buy more chit. I will be in the garage this week tearing my sled apart and installing all my goodies.
Tim, did you get my PM. It's definitely tight and you'll swear it won't fit, but start at the turbo flange end. Clamp that side first! Make some clearance on the steering post srtut and you're golden

Tim, did you get my PM. It's definitely tight and you'll swear it won't fit, but start at the turbo flange end. Clamp that side first! Make some clearance on the steering post srtut and you're golden

Just looked, I have it. Thanks for the info.

Also put the header in place and if there is a gap between the header outlet and the inlet of the turbo remove the header and stretch the expansion joint so that you have to slightly compress it to install!!
It will make your life easier then trying to stretch it in place to connect the v band clamp!imo

Back