• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane Performance?

BryanK410

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Apex MTX
Anyone dealt with Hurricane Performance from Ontario? Thinking about giving their Throttle Body Boring a try. They claim 15hp. And based on how that performs try out their head porting.
My only concerned is what their tunes for PCV and IM are like. I currently have a Ulmer tune for 91 and she absolutely rips down low and midrange compared to stock. I don't want to lose that. Anyone running their tunes?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Many on this board (including myself) have dealt with Hurricane Performance for years. IMO great products and support. My only criticism is that their hp predictions (at least in my experience) tend to be somewhat optimistic.

With that said, I have Dave's stg 1 porting on my Apex, and it provided a solid 10hp improvement on the dyno. These Apex engines respond well to basic clutching and tuning mods. But, without going to a power adder, its VERY hard, and/or expensive to get another 10-20 hp out of them.

Porting works extremely well, but, because its not a bolt on mod and requires more "invasive" engine work, many tend to shy away from it. I can tell you, that it does require a proper tune to get the most out of it.

I do highly recommend it though.

As far as their TB mods, I can't speak from experience, but, unless the pricing is very reasonable, I'd let that mod go for the time being.

Last edited:
Yeah he claims 15 just with throttle body which be more than what u get from head porting. Its cheaper than porting too. Im skeptical which is why I wanted to see here first.
He said 25hp for porting and the head. Im ok with spending bit of money to get the most out of the motor without going force induction.

Are you talking about the same place? Isn’t hurricane Dave in Ontario?

basically all I want to know is how his tunes perform for the PC and ignition module. And if he tunes for specific octane? Like I said the ulmer tune really woke up my sled. If the gains are minimum and I lose the responsiveness I have now I won't do it.

It sounds like you're over thinking this tune thing. If you have Ulmers tune in it now, and are happy with it, then keep it. There's little or nothing to be gained by going with a tune from shop "B", provided shop "A" did their homework.

I don't want to understate the importance, but, there is only so much you can do with fuel and spark controllers on a stock or mostly stock setup.

What you are essentially getting from a "tune" is a slight improvement in a/f and spark timing over the conservative factory tune.

Basically the factory setup has a richer a/f and less timing than "optimum" to protect the engine against certain "variables". It provides a safety factor against certain things like low octane fuel, extended high speed running, or unforseen running conditions, just to name a few.

The real difference between a low and high octane tune is just how much you want to lose your "safety factor" in the pursuit of performance. Like most other things, its a trade-off.

Beyond a good tune for a mostly stock set-up, the controllers also allow the tuner to alter fuel and spark for additional mods, which almost always require more fuel, and attention to the spark advance.

A ported head, for instance, most definitely would require MORE fuel than your engine is currently using. Provided your current tune is correct.

Hope this helps.

It sounds like you're over thinking this tune thing. If you have Ulmers tune in it now, and are happy with it, then keep it. There's little or nothing to be gained by going with a tune from shop "B", provided shop "A" did their homework.

I don't want to understate the importance, but, there is only so much you can do with fuel and spark controllers on a stock or mostly stock setup.

What you are essentially getting from a "tune" is a slight improvement in a/f and spark timing over the conservative factory tune.

Basically the factory setup has a richer a/f and less timing than "optimum" to protect the engine against certain "variables". It provides a safety factor against certain things like low octane fuel, extended high speed running, or unforseen running conditions, just to name a few.

The real difference between a low and high octane tune is just how much you want to lose your "safety factor" in the pursuit of performance. Like most other things, its a trade-off.

Beyond a good tune for a mostly stock set-up, the controllers also allow the tuner to alter fuel and spark for additional mods, which almost always require more fuel, and attention to the spark advance.

A ported head, for instance, most definitely would require MORE fuel than your engine is currently using. Provided your current tune is correct.

Hope this helps.

All i want to know is if shop b (hurricane) did their homework in regards with tunes. Sorry for any confusion. I understand how the tunes work. Pointless to get head ported and not add more fuel so will need to retune if i do that mod. Thats why i want to know if hurricane is legit or are their tunes like their HP claims. If ulmer got a tune for a ported head and rest of my setup i would just use his.

Had ulmer setup on friends 06 and worked well, put hurricane 180 kit on my 11, ran really strong on bottom and mid, and no trouble with tune, I just clutched more aggressive than what he gave me, was a hoot to ride, now have Dave's tunes in my sidewinder with no trouble's, so I don't think you will have any problems with his tunes, just clutching for your conditions and riding style and have fun

Had ulmer setup on friends 06 and worked well, put hurricane 180 kit on my 11, ran really strong on bottom and mid, and no trouble with tune, I just clutched more aggressive than what he gave me, was a hoot to ride, now have Dave's tunes in my sidewinder with no trouble's, so I don't think you will have any problems with his tunes, just clutching for your conditions and riding style and have fun
I put your kit on my 12 xtx and that thing was an animal.

Back