• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane turbo

Late 2016 to current SR Viper models are not to be turbocharged without changing rods. You are taking a very serious risk if you decide to turbocharge a late 2016, 2017, or 2018 without changing the rods.

Late 2016 to current SR Viper models are not to be turbocharged without changing rods. You are taking a very serious risk if you decide to turbocharge a late 2016, 2017, or 2018 without changing the rods.

Good to know.
I thought the issue was resolved after the 16 model year. Looks like I thought wrong, lol

Very happy with my 190 Hurricane Turbo no issues only cops I have the race muffler on it now but going to put quiet muffler on this year, It is very heavy compared to reace muffler. Also been thinking of the 240 kit.

Do it, poaack puck puck puck!

I have a 16 turbo that had the updated rod kit. It is in the process of being replaced so I called Dave at Hurricane to look into putting in Carillo rods. He told me that the 17, 18 and 19 viper use the sidewinder rods I checked the parts numbers according to the parts fiche and he was right. He said he would not bother upgrading the rods as long as my replacement motor is a new spec motor. We both doubt there are any 16's left out there anyways so its likely to be an 18 or 19 spec. No issues with sidewinder rods that I am aware of. 16's have issues and must be changed out to turbo.

I have a 16 turbo that had the updated rod kit. It is in the process of being replaced so I called Dave at Hurricane to look into putting in Carillo rods. He told me that the 17, 18 and 19 viper use the sidewinder rods I checked the parts numbers according to the parts fiche and he was right. He said he would not bother upgrading the rods as long as my replacement motor is a new spec motor. We both doubt there are any 16's left out there anyways so its likely to be an 18 or 19 spec. No issues with sidewinder rods that I am aware of. 16's have issues and must be changed out to turbo.
Geeze if this is true wonder how many Viper sales were lost!

I quickly double checked and the parts numbers are not the same. I need to start wearing my reading glasses.

They have a different letter on the Viper ones than the Sidewinder ones. 8KJ-11650-00-00 Sidewinder and 8KH-11650-00-00 for the Viper. Difference is the J and H.

Dave told me they are the same but they seem to bolt to the crank differently as far as the picture goes. My updated rod kit that was installed had Sidewinder style bolts and nuts on it. In my conversation with him, Dave told me that the 16 viper was supposed to have the Sidewinder rods and crank in them which is why they touted it being stronger and more reliable but rods were not heat treated properly. . He says he has had no issues with the 17 and on Vipers putting on turbo's. As always proceed at your own risk.

Back