• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hygear rear shock body problem

nickleuci

Expert
Has anybody had this problem. Just paid $320 for this thing. 4 days of riding and it's already f'd.

Looks to me like snow and ice gets caught between the arm and brass fitting. When you compress the skid the brass fitting hits the snow and is not strong enough. Part of the issue looks to be the location of the fitting compared to where yami put the oem one. I'm pulling the shock and calling hygear first thing Monday.

If I have to pay to fix this I'm going to lose it. My stock yami shock lasted 8800 miles before it blew. Hygear's version lasted 4 days (650 miles).
91f35f44c26ee84fc947e3b1bae5bbcf.jpg
5dd2a70e0694cb665b4eabebd85b7ed6.jpg
8a24bbfe3fc959e0e40715108fd75c73.jpg

Before installing notice how straight the hose is compared to in the sled. The brass fitting bent.

83fca8c09234b1647a7db6ccbfdf65ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are supposed to mount it hose up. I actually mounted mine( in apex, but nytro shock) hose up and upside down. Only way it would fit.

Wow , my buddy had the same problem the last 2 yrs in a row. They made him pay. He had it blow the fitting second day out last yr. Less than 300 mi. He was so mad he just went out and bought a new viper just so he could ride. (We have to travel a lot for our riding, from pa). It pretty much ruined his 2015 riding season and he wasn't going to let that happen last yr. And I'm thinking the resi down is the way you mount it. Mine is loaded to head north again so i cant verify though. Good luck

It's a bad design. They should be using a banjo bolt. If this shock should be mounted resi up don't you think hygear should include instructions that state "must be mounted resi up"? Cause that's not the way the stocker was mounted.

Honestly for all I know the damage was done immediately, day 1, and it's been leaking ever since.

I can't see how this is anything other than a design flaw.

I will make a video to show how the suspension moves. I'm thinking a banjo bolt would be better here.

Ok I think this vid will show the problem quite well. So snow Anne ice collects in the pocket on the pivot arm just left of the brass fitting. As the suspension compresses the brass fitting hammers the snow and ice and bends causing it to leak.

Snow and ice collects here, no way to avoid it.

And finally a view into the space on the arm. Almost looks as if the fitting hit it/clearance issue but I don't think it does.

4d308669300f920913e9aebb6b002e1c.jpg

Last edited:
I called them when I tried to install mine. They acted like they had never heard a concern about it. They did tell me it could be mounted in any direction. Mines like I said is upside down, meaning shaft eye down where you have it shaft eye up. In your video you can see by the spring you aren't getting full compression. I was worried in wooped out trails it would hit the cross shaft. Hope they fix it for you

Oil is mostly gone so yeah there is almost no dampening.

Even if I flip the Shaft this is still a problem the brass fitting is going to hit.

I will update with my conversations from hygear. I'm going to share pics and vid with them. I'm hoping we can come up with a solution, cause just putting the same setup back in is not going to give me any better results.

Shock just removed. You can see how it bent.
28e30f6e3c3bb24e02e90c4232d50841.jpg

Last edited:
You can see in the pic it is hitting the cross mount shaft. A banjo fitting would for sure be better.

Yup it certainly looks that way. I couldn't compress it and get it to hit, but maybe when both the center and rear compress fully it interferes.

I agree, a banjo seems like it'll be the way to go. Hopefully Hygear recognizes the problem.

Mine hit the grease zero, but I put nytro ohlins in an apex. They said it would work. So I just add libbed it.

same thing happen to me first bump and they say they been doing this set up for years and never had a issue ...now i c were it hit whit your vid

I can't believe it hasn't been a common complaint. I am totally stock, never messed with the skid, always greased it. Only thing I have is duponts, fully clipped track and studs.

for now am using one from a rtx i modified to fit whit the resi uppward

just send a email to hygear whit some of your pics to show theme were it hit

Spoke to them this morning. They have a steel fitting that is more robust than the brass. Looking at my brass fitting it appears that it did in fact hit the arm. Sent them all the photos and showed where the brass looked marred. They were good about recognizing this problem and they are going to try to turn then shock around in a day or 2.

I'm worried the steel fitting might hit the arm too. The fitting just needs a smidge more room if they could thread in the steel all the way that would prob do it assuming it's not any taller than the brass.

Back