• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am about to buy a doo...

yamahaex50

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder LTX-LE
I never thought this day would come, but I'm very seriously thinking about buying a 2016 800 renegade.

I haven't owned my own sled in almost 10 years now ( been riding others extra doos, yammies and poos).

Why I don't want to:

1) I grew up riding an 87 exciter, first in front of my dad and then on my own. Loved that thing.

2) I want a Yamaha motor, aka reliability. I want to keep this sled for 5-10 years (1200 miles a year or so).

3) I worry about that 800 etec, aka reliability.

4) I want a Yamaha motor, aka power. Love the Apex pull and power. The vector too really.

Why I feel like I need to:

1) I want Yamaha so badly to come out with a pure Yamaha that competes and they just won't. I've been waiting!

2) I buried an apex last year (MY2010) 3 miles from camp out goofing off by myself and couldn't get it out by myself b/c it was too heavy(note to self:always have a come along with you when solo). I'm a pretty athletic guy too. Had to wait for help to come by. I don't do tons of off trail, but it's work on the apex vs the renegade(albeit a 600). Even the vector I ride is work.

That same apex is fantastic in a straight line, but work to ride through the twisties. The vector a little less so.

3) I just can't see buying something that AC built. Especially after watching the Yellowknife experience a year ago.

4) The deal is the best I've ever seen. Just north of 10k with a 4 year warranty( helping me get over the reliability concerns?) on a 0% basis.

Thoughts?

Good luck. Sounds like a good deal . They're all heavy when they're packed full of snow.

Friend has one and likes it. This is his 2nd one but he only keeps them for 2 years

Why not go for the four stroke if you're worried about the 800? The 12oo 4-tec has a great reputation for reliability, albeit at the expense of a little added weight and less Hp.

Why not go for the four stroke if you're worried about the 800? The 12oo 4-tec has a great reputation for reliability, albeit at the expense of a little added weight and less Hp.
I believe that would still come with the weight issues no? At that point should I just suck it up and buy a viper that I know has all the updates?

Wait until February to see what Yamaha and BRP has comming out. Yamaha has a new all Yam model coming out this year or the next. BRP has a new engine coming out soon. Nothing confimred of course all rumors but its just another month so why not wait. You might be kicking yourself since your buying new. The deal you have will still be available then.

If you do end up with a 2 cycle BRP model do not think you'll want to keep it past the 4 year warranty. I would only trust Yamaha if you want to keep it 5-10 years. If this is your priority then wait and tuff it out with your tank which is costing you nothing.

Wait until February to see what Yamaha and BRP has comming out. Yamaha has a new all Yam model coming out this year or the next. BRP has a new engine coming out soon. Nothing confimred of course all rumors but its just another month so why not wait. You might be kicking yourself since your buying new. The deal you have will still be available then.

If you do end up with a 2 cycle BRP model do not think you'll want to keep it past the 4 year warranty. I would only trust Yamaha if you want to keep it 5-10 years. If this is your priority then wait and tuff it out with your tank which is costing you nothing.
If I 100% knew that Yamaha was building "a Yamaha" soon and not a Yamacat I would be really comfortable waiting. I have a week long UP trip coming in a few weeks and would like to have it by then, but you are right, if I buy it and they actually do what we have all asked them to do this year, I will kick myself.

I believe that would still come with the weight issues no? At that point should I just suck it up and buy a viper that I know has all the updates?

The Skidoo will still come in at weighing 100 pounds less than an Apex.

In my opinion, I would not buy a Viper.

The Viper had it's problems, but now with everything weeded out, I couldn't be more happy with my Viper....and I know a ton of others feel the same way.

There are Vipers making more hpr than apex's now..

But, comes down to your money and what you want Yamahaex50

A four year warranty gives little assurance of reliability, only that if there are problems somebody else is SUPPOSED to pay. My riding time is too precious to miss while waiting for somebody else to fix my sled. Nobody is more motivated to have the thing ready to go than I am. If I got five hundred dollars off I'd buy a new Yamaha with a 60 day warranty.

Splitting HAIRS here I don't give a #*$&@ how athletic you are-a buried sled of any brand ain't going anywhere alone.
Just buy what your gut tells ya.
Kinda funny haven't owned a sled in 10yrs, seems like anything would be nice to call your own.
I've still got my 03 RX1 and it AIN'T for sale, but for 9/10k you can buy a real nice YAMAHA.

Asking us here if its good a idea to buy a different brand sled means you already have set in your mind that it is.
I will liken this question to my wife's deadly question when she is primping herself to go out for the evening. After all the makeup and touch ups, numerous costume changes, hair placement, bra adjusting, etc......
She will ask to dreaded question " So?? How do I look". Not that she needs my opinion because she has already formulated that for me in her mind. I do my best to read her mind and answer correctly or just by flowers on our way out.
There is never the right answer when someone already has the answer in their head.
It does look like you do not like the weight of the Yamaha 4s and I can appreciate that but getting a buried 600lb sled unstuck by yourself may as well be a 1000lb sled unless you are a freak of nature and can lift 700lbs of sled, snow and ice.
Buy what feels the most comfortable fit for you.

Asking us here if its good a idea to buy a different brand sled means you already have set in your mind that it is.
I will liken this question to my wife's deadly question when she is primping herself to go out for the evening. After all the makeup and touch ups, numerous costume changes, hair placement, bra adjusting, etc......
She will ask to dreaded question " So?? How do I look". Not that she needs my opinion because she has already formulated that for me in her mind. I do my best to read her mind and answer correctly or just by flowers on our way out.
There is never the right answer when someone already has the answer in their head.
It does look like you do not like the weight of the Yamaha 4s and I can appreciate that but getting a buried 600lb sled unstuck by yourself may as well be a 1000lb sled unless you are a freak of nature and can lift 700lbs of sled, snow and ice.
Buy what feels the most comfortable fit for you.
Lol. The getting stuck issue has more to do with actually getting it stuck rather than getting it out to be honest(to your point). I like to think I am a decent rider, been doing it for 25 years, I don't get stuck often ( maybe I am not trying hard enough though) I haven't decided anything ( speaker of wives, mine will attest to my inability to make any sort of decision these days). That's why I cam here, for some opinion. I posted the same on dootalk. Lots of good stuff from you guys and I appreciate it all!

With tweaking and tuning you can get any Apex/Vector chassis to rail thru the twisties. Have not worked on or with the new style Vipers yet so no comment about them.
In your list of borrowed sleds you have ridden 3 of the 4 sled manufacturers. So you know what you like and dislike about each one.
Like I said before, pick the one that best suits you and your driving style. Just over 10k for a new sled sounds like one heck of a deal.
I think you may miss the arm pulling power of the Yamaha 4s if you do pull the trigger on the Doo.
Heck, I got onto a Yamaha by fluke. Being new to the sport of sledding I drove 2 seasons on borrowed sleds. A 440 Indy, 98 580(?) Ultra, 91 Indy 500 and a 96 600Vmax. In my 3rd season a guy had a deal on a new 3yr 97 700sx that I just could not pass up. Been driving Yamaha ever since.
Its the only brand I know how to wrench on now. :D

Back