• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am considering updating my snowmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
yamaha ltd-dx
I currently Have a Yamaha Viper LTD-dx .....3500 miles on it.
I am a older rider (80) and have been riding for 49 years
I have owned 12 other Yamaha snowmobiles....
Am considering the Viper GT....however i have noted the
Ski doo renegade 900 ace at a much lower price $2500
Your thoughts.....ore wait another year and see what Yamaha comes out with.
Would I see much difference in ride quality between these two choices
Thanks

I currently Have a Yamaha Viper LTD-dx .....3500 miles on it.
I am a older rider (80) and have been riding for 49 years
I have owned 12 other Yamaha snowmobiles....
Am considering the Viper GT....however i have noted the
Ski doo renegade 900 ace at a much lower price $2500
Your thoughts.....ore wait another year and see what Yamaha comes out with.
Would I see much difference in ride quality between these two choices
Thanks
Compare the features and accessories that come on both snow machines. For example 12volt outlet, heated visor outlet, heated seat, shock package etc. between the two. If none of those things matter but the price then compare and decide which will be a better option.
I'm sure both are good machines...

I am glad to see you are still riding at 80. That gives me hope that I can still ride a few more years. I think if I was 80 I would get a Venture and just enjoy the comfy couch going through the woods, but hey a new viper with really good shocks could do it for me too.

Cheers!

I think you should get a new sidewinder ltx le spring order and get the larger turbo they are running on the world record runs with 3 bar map and the whole 9 yards. After all can you think of a better way to go? lol

I agree on comparing some features … that said I have both sleds and have to say the 900 ace has a better all round motor and very nice ride in the renegade platform....( equal to my 137 viper at least) much more refind running qualitys and fricking smooth/quiet and great MPG.I feel its just as fast as my clutched viper to 70mph...stock. One of the best sleds I have ridden in my 40+

Last edited:
I must say its nice to see older riders posting and supporting the sport of snowmobiling for 49 years, hats off to you, as far as the viper goes you pretty much know what to expect and how they ride, some improvements with the new viper but still kinda the same with some different shock packages offered with some nice accessories available, as far as the 900 ace renegade they have upped the power to 95 hp, the rear suspension is the best in the business and really soak up the bumps, front end is abit twitchy but no worst then what you are use to, rider forward seating is very comfy but taller riders are abit cramped but not to bad, there is so many adjustments available on the renegade to fit you and your riding style a lot of thought has gone into the machine, fuel mileage is around 20+mpg, the accessories available and the thought behind them is second to none for the Doo, have a couple of buddies that have the 900 ace renegade's and the two up touring also and they absolutely love them and have been very reliable machines, my best advice is to go and test ride both machines, waiting for Yamaha to come out with something new...not sure what to tell you on that.

Compare the features and accessories that come on both snow machines. For example 12volt outlet, heated visor outlet, heated seat, shock package etc. between the two. If none of those things matter but the price then compare and decide which will be a better option.
I'm sure both are good machines...
Price is not the deciding factor...do not know if heated visor outlet is on ski do....had to have it wired in on my viper....probably a better shock package on yamaha....but everyone says ski do has best rear.....at my age i don't need to go 100 mph thanks

I agree on comparing some features … that said I have both sleds and have to say the 900 ace has a better all round motor and very nice ride in the renegade platform....( equal to my 137 viper at least) much more refind running qualitys and fricking smooth/quiet and great MPG.I feel its just as fast as my clutched viper to 70mph...stock. One of the best sleds I have ridden in my 40+
thanks....do i have to worry about tearing up my garage floor with the ice griper track on the ski do
love to back in so i don't have to lift machine....I have a protection surface down for skis
At my age i do not want to lift....also is ski do reverse like it is on my viper

I think you should get a new sidewinder ltx le spring order and get the larger turbo they are running on the world record runs with 3 bar map and the whole 9 yards. After all can you think of a better way to go? lol
90 is fast enough for me...thanks

I am glad to see you are still riding at 80. That gives me hope that I can still ride a few more years. I think if I was 80 I would get a Venture and just enjoy the comfy couch going through the woods, but hey a new viper with really good shocks could do it for me too.

Cheers!
As a friend would say.....been their ......done that.....I like the latest tech. stuff thanks

I upgraded from a 2012 Apex xtx to a 2019 Enduro 900t and the sled is very comfortable. The 3 modes allow to release just enough ponies for the type of riding at the moment. Eco mode is perfect for not spinning the track backing in your garage or loading and unloading sleds on trailers. The Enduro also has push button reverse no reverse crank or lever which is very convenient. The 12v visor is also standard on the Enduro as well as the heated comfort seat. I would suggest the ultra high adjustable windshield very robust and blocks the wind well on cold days. The Enduro model also comes standard with the air ride shock so you push a button on the fly for changing trail conditions. The adjustable carbide skis are also standard on the Enduro. I have the 900 turbo as I like the 150hp but if you like the basic 900 engine it moves along well too. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help the Enduros are same sled but offers different engines, shock and seats from other Renegades.

I just sold my Viper and my wife has a 900 ACE Renegade. I agree with some of what you say. It is a more refined sled, very quiet, smooth and great MPG. The fit and finish is much better than my 17 viper but there is no way it can run with it. The power is just not there. My wife loves it and that is great but the ride just doesn't do it for me as I feel the seating position is not right for me. My advice to the OP is make sure to sit on a Gade or two. Ride one if you can with the ACE. If you like the ride and don't necessatily need the snap, then it is a great sled. If not, then you know what the Viper can do.

I just sold my Viper and my wife has a 900 ACE Renegade. I agree with some of what you say. It is a more refined sled, very quiet, smooth and great MPG. The fit and finish is much better than my 17 viper but there is no way it can run with it. The power is just not there. My wife loves it and that is great but the ride just doesn't do it for me as I feel the seating position is not right for me. My advice to the OP is make sure to sit on a Gade or two. Ride one if you can with the ACE. If you like the ride and don't necessatily need the snap, then it is a great sled. If not, then you know what the Viper can do.
I just got my first viper this year and truly cant believe for having 125-30 hp and clutched that its not much if any better in performance than my stock 900 ace from 0-60. This is where most riders "feel" the performance of theses two sleds. I really like my viper but its way weak on the big end. These are not an Apex or Sidewinder....The 900 ACE is one of the best powerplants made in torque and performance for this segment IMO. Then you add the power mode options and fit and finish as well as overall running quality its got the viper in trouble IMO ,(My 16 viper has been reflashed 3 times by Yamaha) then with the "cat" DNA through out the rest of the sled...? And for the record I own three Yamahas and consider myself a Yamaha follower but I am very impressed with the ace and feel it has a lot to offer the 80 yr old vet of the sport.I I bought the ace for my wife that was wanting to give up riding and she loves going again now. She really likes the throttle lever and how easy it is on her right hand being fly by wire as well as being so quiet and smooth. Again , Just my experience and not a debate in any way .. Regards.

Last edited:
entirely joking I hope to still be sledding when/if I make it to 80.
Thanks ...yes indeed
I am fortunate to be riding......will this ice riper track mess up my garage floor.....Have to decide shortly or i will lose the 4 year warrante
i am not positive this is a big thing on this sled
I appreciate all of your responses....I can trade mine in and pay $6806 for the enduro 900ace $7050 for enduro 600e-tec $9600 for viper ltxdx
You can see quite a difference
My Viper lyx-dx with 3500 miles on it
they are giving me $4,500 seems a bit low .....but ......i do not have to worry about selling
Any opinions on its value?
Could wait until fall and see if i could sell......would probably not have 4 years of warrantee but could by new ones at same price
Thanks to all who have responded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back