• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I like my Expert X

Goodwrench

I installed an Expert X along with a 1¼" Ripsaw in my '03 RX-1 shorty a few weeks ago. I've put about 250 miles on it and I really like it so far.

I read the head to head M10 verses Expert X comparison. http://www.totallyamaha.com/ExpertX_M10 ... es/hh1.htm
This comparison was really helpful in making my choice. (one note about the rating system, the "shock options" category skewed the comparison badly in favor of the M-10. Without this category the outcome is practically even. I'm assuming that AD Boivin would chose the right shocks for their skid) There were a few things that made me chose the Expert X:
1. No loss of speed
2. Weight transfer. You can have as much or as little as you want.
3. Ease of adjustibility. I've never seen another skid that even comes close. Any of the 4 adjustment options are easily and quickly done on the trail.

One unexpected bonus is that the sled gets on top of deep snow now and runs with the 800's. Before it was like a boat that could never get up and plane. I can't explain it, it doesn't make sense when you think about the weight difference between RX-1's and 2 stroke 800's. I'm guessing the answer is in the track angle or the way the suspensions hangs out of the tunnel in deep snow. It's not just the 1¼" track because a freind of mine put a Ripsaw on his RX-1 last year. At WOT in deep snow there was no noticable difference between his sled and mine with a 1" Polaris/Camoplast track.

FYI, the weight savings are 8 lbs. I weighed everthing that I took out and put in.

If you plan on putting one in:
1. The installation is practically fool proof on a RX-1. There are specific instructions for the RX-1 and general instructions for all other sleds. (that tells me most of their skids are going into RX-1's these days) The only problem I had was that the outside side plates only come in one size now, and they are too long. They have to be shortended up like in the attached picture or the link above. They don't mention this in the instructions.
2. Use double sided tape on the inside support plates, then do your mounting hole drilling.
3. Get the proper size nuts and bolts (metric - same size as the supplied mounting bolts). Bolt the outside and inside support plates to the tunnel and then drill your pop rivet holes.
4. Chamfer the edges of the outside side plates where the seat comes in contact.
5. Beat your sled like a rented mule! (Enjoy riding without the fear of breaking your back. )

Attachments

• ExpertX105b.jpg
    ExpertX105b.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 161

I tossed around which one to get but I chose the M 10 , hope I am not dissapointed .

I really think that (hope that ) you cant go wrong with either one

By the way yours looks great
Ger

I found that my 03 handled best with the back of the sled set about as low as the Expert will let you go (for groomed trail riding only). This seemed to change the way the skis tracked and turned. If the Expert had adjustable shocks like the Mono shock on the 05 the Expert would be an easy equal ;)! ;)!

03RX1JIM

I thought about extrovert drivers, but decided to give it a try without. The track is able to be run very loose and I get no ratcheting at all. The suspension is designed so that the track tightens as the suspension compresses. Under hard acceleration the track tightens from weight transfer. If you hit a jump and land with the throttle pinned, the track tightens due to the suspension compression. Conversely on a lake run the track can run loose with this design.

BBY, I should have mentioned that I stretched my '03 to 136". Is there a 136" version as well? Are the mounting positions the same for it? Which suspension would have the better attack angle for deep snow, M-10 or Expert? I am also a light rider, 150 or less with gear so I also have concerns about range of adjustability and I also would prefer to not greatly increase ride height.

Goodwrench, I am in Winnipeg. Any chance of seeing your machine?

Snomad,

I got one Trevor at Northland Leisure. Call him for a price. http://www.northlandleisureproducts.com He's got a brand new turbo kit for a good price too. The $1375 US out of Wisconsin sounds pretty good depending on shipping and duty etc. I don't know how it works, but I'd be suprised if you had to pay duty on something that is made in Canada. The shocks are Kayaba HPG rebuildables. As far as seeing my sled, I'm 6 hours north of you.

Goodwrench said:
03RX1JIM

I thought about extrovert drivers, but decided to give it a try without. The track is able to be run very loose and I get no ratcheting at all. The suspension is designed so that the track tightens as the suspension compresses. Under hard acceleration the track tightens from weight transfer. If you hit a jump and land with the throttle pinned, the track tightens due to the suspension compression. Conversely on a lake run the track can run loose with this design.

Do you run studs in your ripsaw? If you do, do you have any track slapping or damage to tunnel with that skid?

No I'm not running any studs. I would think that there might be a clearance issue at the front of the tunnel with studs on a 1¼" track with any skid. I don't know for sure.

There is no stud issue with the Expert X and Ripsaw tracks. Plenty of clearance. Run 1.325-1.375 studs and it will be fine. As for pricing they are now $1,350 plus shipping. For Canadian customers, there is no duties or brokerage fees as I can drop ship them to you direct from AD Boivin which is located in Canada...BBY

Back