• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I need help with an oil problem

I think you're the first to mention smoking along with the oil use. Anyone else getting smoke. I have an 03 with 2K and use a little oil, about 1/2 quart this season (just over 1000 miles). If we're seeing smoke, there is definitely a ring problem that Yamaha needs to fix for us. A high end 4 stroke peerformance engine should not smoke... period.

I used a quart and a half in 100 miles, and mine showed very, very little smoke, and only at certain times. I'm surprised to hear about a sled smoking. Definately strange.

Jim

oil and smoke

I did not mean to make it sound like I look like a old school bus going down the trail. :oops:

The first 2,000 miles no smoke, no oil usage. ;)!

Last 1,000 adding oil every day and visable smoke if you pay attention. :(

I think Yamaha has to make and reccomend 0w-40 or 0w50 motor oil fot these engines, after all they rev at 10,000rpm plus. My 1st m3 ran Mobile 1,10-30 or 40 than they swithched it to Castrol 10w-60 Synthetic (only available from dealer) because engines were blowing up at only 8200 rpm redline

Previously,my aircooled porshe's all needed 1 quart oil with every tank of gas so I think oil consumption and rpm's are related.

If they know for a fact that the rings are suspect, then just have them change them now while it is under warranty. Like many have replied, a leakdown test is the way to go for certain. If the technician is sharp he will be able to tell where the leakage is coming from thereby confirming wether it is rings or not.

I have done some leakdown tests on some sleds of customers RX1's that complain of using oil and they all leakdown between 24% and 34%.

Good luck with it Dana.

Freddie

Wow what a differance a couple of years makes,when i was on complaining of oil usage back in 03 i was told it was the way i broke it in,or freddies air mod did it,or some lame #*$&@,now with evryone having problems with 03 sleds with milage on them and mine had 4800 on it,i guess it runs a little deeper than break in procedures,but i had mine done for leak down way back in the middle of 03 and we found one valve that was only .001 thou. out of spec. and like bostonrx1s problem i was told to do a chart on oil consumption,which i did,but i dident persue it all that close,as most of us feel we need to ride when we have snow,and time to do charts is limited when you are having fun in the snow.... But when mine was using 1 qt. per 100 miles you could smell it bad,at least the guys riding behind me stated they could smell it bad,and that it was leaving oil spots on there hoods lol... :moon:

Snowbeast, it sounds like the same lines my dealers gave me. Preprinted responses from Yamaha maybe? lol. Last year I was even told it was because I rode an excessive amount of miles, so it was abuse on my part (I had under 3000 miles total, and was early in my second season). This year I was accused by Yamaha of having run a turbo and other mods, even though they hadn't even seen the sled, and my engine has always been completely stock!

Jim

nhrxrider said:
Snowbeast, it sounds like the same lines my dealers gave me. Preprinted responses from Yamaha maybe? lol. Last year I was even told it was because I rode an excessive amount of miles, so it was abuse on my part (I had under 3000 miles total, and was early in my second season). This year I was accused by Yamaha of having run a turbo and other mods, even though they hadn't even seen the sled, and my engine has always been completely stock!

Jim
Yes i really think now after seeing all of these folks having the same problem that we have/had makes me wonder if indeed the 03 rings were bad,and it will be difficult for any manufacturer to admit they had a problem,but with yammi selling all of us the extended 5 year warrenty,now makes more sense than ever why they are backing up about the ring problem,regardless,mine had a serious problem with oil usage,and it did not fix its self,its still using oil,and the person who bought it this year,must of noticed it..

Oh, and I was also given the line this year that it must have been improper break-in. I wanted to get the extended warranty, and I had money set aside for it last year, but because the dealers wouldn't even take care of basic stuff under warranty without a fight, I figured it wouldn't do any good to extend it. Its annoying enough for them not to cover stuff under the warranty that came with the sled, but I wasn't going to pay $700 THEN have them not fix things!

Jim

Update from the dealer. The leakdown test was nearly perfect as well as the compression test. Yamaha has told them that most of the problem they are finding is that most people fill the oil up the the full line. This is causing excessive pressure and blowing out the crankcase vent and into the carbs. Their recommendation is to only fill half way to the full line and my problem will go away. I guess this thread will not be closed until I ride next year. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back