• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Safety for Snowmobilers

YukonMP

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Venture MultiPurpose 2020 VK Professional ll
Being an ice fisherman who rides several thousand kilometers a year on lakes, mostly alone, I have made ice safety a subject for study. This year I have been much entertained by people coming up to me on the ice and asking how thick the ice is ... because they have no clue! The only reason they are on the lake is because they saw someones tracks or because they ALWAYS ride on the lake by the new year. End of mini rant.

This link is to my favorite ice safety site and the summary page for snowmobilers is a good place to start. I'm told by the trappers and guys who live down the lake year round that crossing pressure ridges is the greatest risk.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/tips-for-snowmobilers/

Being an ice fisherman who rides several thousand kilometers a year on lakes, mostly alone, I have made ice safety a subject for study. This year I have been much entertained by people coming up to me on the ice and asking how thick the ice is ... because they have no clue! The only reason they are on the lake is because they saw someones tracks or because they ALWAYS ride on the lake by the new year. End of mini rant.

This link is to my favorite ice safety site and the summary page for snowmobilers is a good place to start. I'm told by the trappers and guys who live down the lake year round that crossing pressure ridges is the greatest risk.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/tips-for-snowmobilers/

Pressure ridges can leave open water around them, never mind smacking one at speed! Worst is the slope of the ice if buckled under the other side, almost lost a guy who tried to cross and got hung up on the ridge. he slipped off his sled and slid down into a opening under the ice and was hanging onto the running board to keep himself from sliding right under. We fished him out from the other side of the ridge with a rope tied around him that we tossed back to the guys on his side of the ridge (we found a better place to cross). The ice was so slippery that he could not pull or push himself back onto the sled or out of the crevice he was in. Ice picks would have worked wonders for him.

It seems my Polaris rope I have carried for years has another use. Seriously thinking of the rope before it maybe needed is a good plan. By the way the rope is so named for its usual use pulling my Po buddy home...rare but always a good tease for the year. Last year on TY Manitoba ride it was a Cat Rope.

It seems my Polaris rope I have carried for years has another use. Seriously thinking of the rope before it maybe needed is a good plan. By the way the rope is so named for its usual use pulling my Po buddy home...rare but always a good tease for the year. Last year on TY Manitoba ride it was a Cat Rope.

Actually its a used drier rope and has pulled them all I think!

Back