• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Scratcher Problems

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 Yamaha Sidewinder X-TX LE 141
A guy riding in our group has a 2015 Apex 128 with ice scratchers installed on the skid rails. Dealer installed them during the 2017 season when we were running on low snow (I'm honestly not sure the manufacturer).

We found that even with the scratchers tucked away in the "storage mounts", they would still pop out and throw huge chunks of ice and snow.

Is there a better way to have the "storage mounts" attached to the skid so the scratchers stay stored even through small bumps (it was literally the smallest bumps that would toss these things back out).

Thanks!

Picture for reference

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 319
i am considering the doo summit mounts for my scratchers like that. i usually just leave them deployed all the time as it does not hurt to have extra snow thrown in for slider lube.

I too, am of the leave them deployed camp. If that is kicking up an annoying amount of snow/ice I would turn the tip 45 degrees backwards or whatever proves to be the happy medium.

Alot of u guys run scratchers ? Spring or cable ? Mostly for cooling or slide lube ? Just curious thinking I'd pick up a pair, I'd be affraid to run cable ones on the rails . Always worried they'd kick back up into the skid .. seem them on barn of parts .. got a ski set up .. looks pretty nice

Alot of u guys run scratchers ? Spring or cable ? Mostly for cooling or slide lube ? Just curious thinking I'd pick up a pair, I'd be affraid to run cable ones on the rails . Always worried they'd kick back up into the skid .. seem them on barn of parts .. got a ski set up .. looks pretty nice

The spring ones have the challenge of reverse. If you back up without putting them away, you'll bend them. I've never seen any problems with the cables. That being said, the Apex in question is the only machine we ride with that has the scratchers (even before he installed a 1.6 Cobra track). I had a Viper with the 1.6 Cobra and rode for 9,500 miles without scratchers. Once I installed the Dupont slides, I never had a wear problem. And if I was ever running warmer than normal, I'd just dip into powder.

Flushed out my coolant as it was pure gycol , put in 50/50 premix and probably going to order some scratchers and mount to the skis .. want to keep my baby running cool

My clip idea for a retainer fared well in testing this winter. Its a simple solution that will fit most any ski. Next season I will including the clips with the mounts.

IMG_1654.jpg

when we run them it is mainly for slider lube in hard conditions. have a mix of both rigid and cable and the cable ones i just leave deployed as they never stay sitting on the rail for me.

The cables are no where near long enough to reach into the skid, for fear of damage.

Plus, the tension in them as short as they are, & the mounting angle, they don't "flop around". There's a fair amount of down pressure on them. I have an eye bolt thru the rail on each side to hold mine when not in use, and it takes a bit of force to get them hooked in & unhooked again.

I'm probably gunna put a set on just for chits and gigs , B.O.P has a nice set that mount to skis

They really do work. At least the rail mounted, I'm sure the ski do too, I just haven't used them so I can't comment.

I've used mine in the morning after a thaw the day prior, OR laying 1st tracks on groomed from night before when its like concrete. My skid is full of snow, while others are bare & melting hyfax like butter.

I agree , have heard enough issuies with hyfax on these , only makes seince to run them , plus it will help keep temps in motor cooler too on those fresh groomed hard packs

Back