• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Tires and setup??

SledderSteve

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Rental
As I put one of my Grizzly monsters into hiberation mode and setting the other up for snowplow service, I'm looking into getting the Raptor out for some ice riding run.

Can any of you share some info regarding setting up a Raptor for the ice?

Thanks in advance. ;)!

Ive been thinking the same thing about my raptor, im not sure how much to bump the jets either for cold temps, trial and error i guess.Bluetraxx has a thread running on a ski kit for the front end, but thats why i got a Yamaha sled. Looking forward to some input on this.

For ice I am thinking studs. Either the automotive type that you can drill holes for and insert yourself or the screw in type. Either way you can put them where you want them and use as many as you think you need. We used to use them on the race bikes for winter and early spring riding. :D

Thanks for the replies,

I just snagged a complete set of studded tires and rims off eBay for under $200. I wasn't real interested in "screwing up" my nice ITP Holeshots.

Attachments

• 66_1.jpg
    66_1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 489
Sweet, pretty nice tires for sliding around on the ice. Let me know how they work. Thinking about studding the stockers, and picking 22s for the spring.

Those tires look really good. :Rockon:

If you have cut away part of the airbox lid you can also use tape to cover the holes and possibly avoid jetting changes. Less air means richer mix. :D

Thanks guys,

At this time, I'm geared for 22" rears and the ice tires are 20" which will cost me some top end. I'm going to go ahead and try it with this setup, along with some handguards and heated grips.

My intentions are to ride the river near my house where we've typically had good ice for the wheelers but not enough snow for the sleds. Last winter I'd get home from work, hear the machines out on the river having fun and I'd pout because I wasn't equipped.

This winter I'll be prepared. :D

I've got the sprockets, it's taking the time to tinker with the bike instead of clicking away at the computer that becomes the issue. :wink:

SledderSteve said:
I've got the sprockets, it's taking the time to tinker with the bike instead of clicking away at the computer that becomes the issue. :wink:

:o| Isn't that the truth. :ORC

I've had the Rappy scattered all over the garage floor for the last couple days now. I think it ate one of the float bowl screws as I went to put the carbs back together and only came up with 7.

Had the battery on the Optimate since last week, keeps showing weak and going into desulfate mode. Cured that last night by dropping the battery on the floor and removing all doubt that it was bad. The hemorrhaging of battery acid was my first clue. :o|

Oh well, all in good fun. 8)

Back