• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ignition coils removal question

ryama

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder R-TX
I seem to have bad luck working on things lately, and do not want to break anything. I'm changing my plugs, and have the tank pulled back for easy access. I assume you just pull on the coils to get them off. I have tried that but maybe with not enough force. Is there a trick or something to removing them.

I seem to have bad luck working on things lately, and do not want to break anything. I'm changing my plugs, and have the tank pulled back for easy access. I assume you just pull on the coils to get them off. I have tried that but maybe with not enough force. Is there a trick or something to removing them.
I did this yesterday. Unplug the connector. Rotate back and forth to loosen things up a bit, then twist and pull at the same time. They are tight. Be careful not to break or put leverage on the connector.

I did this yesterday. Unplug the connector. Rotate back and forth to loosen things up a bit, then twist and pull at the same time. They are tight. Be careful not to break or put leverage on the connector.
Thank You. Just got done using the method described above.

Also helps when reinstalling to lubricate the outer area where the ribs are with something like silicone dielectric grease. Makes it easier to get off next time.

Good point. I rechecked after reading this and I noticed all three are about a eighth of a inch from being fully seated.
Yup, they go down hard the last little bit as they engage the threaded tip on the spark plug. Just look to make sure that biggest round diameter is tight down to the valve cover boss. If there's a gap, the coil is not down all the way. Helps that you have the gas tank slid back.

Back