• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Importing a Older Yamaha into Canada?

Ruggybuggy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer FX 144
So I plan on buying a older Phazer in the US and bring it to Canada. Because the sled is more than 15 years old it is exempt from the RIV program. Canada customs told me that I would need a bill of sale and registration to bring it back into Canada. The issue I'm having is on the US side. The US now requires that you hire an agent to fill out an AES form. The agent check the info you provide ( bill of sale, passport information, sellers information) then charges you $75 US and issues you a number that allows you to cross the border 72 hours after the waiting period. The problem I have with this is your asking the seller for a bill of sale before you even buy it, you are charged $75 US to the agent and if you don't buy the sled your out $75 bucks.

I phoned Canada customs and asked if I don't stop on the US side before proceeding into Canada will they turn me back to get the title stamped st the US border. The Canada border officer stated that all I needed for them was the title and bill of sale and that they would not turn me back. He stated that they do not enforce US law. So why can't I just leave the US and just not bother stopping in? No one stops you leaving the United States at the border.

Correct. Grab sled and stop at Canada border booth. DONE. Done it like 20 times with sleds, atv, outboards, camper, sled trailers. Just brought a sled trailer over 2 months ago, all good!

Correct. Grab sled and stop at Canada border booth. DONE. Done it like 20 times with sleds, atv, outboards, camper, sled trailers. Just brought a sled trailer over 2 months ago, all good!

Have you done this recently with a sled or ATV? The AES requirement only applies to anything that has a motor and moves over land so trailers and outboards are exempt. Did you ever have a Canadian customs officer direct you back over the border to have your title stamped?

Different set of rules for vehicles that are over 15 years old according to the RIV website.

Yes when the vehicle is over 15 years of age the RIV does not apply but the problem is on the American side with the AES program which applies to any self propelled vehicle that crosses land.

many sleds and ATVs! last year was last time. Never turned back, Canada Customs doesn't give a #*$&@ about USA. All they want is the TAX!!
You don't have to go through any check point on US side to get to Canada. drive right by and head to Can Customs. I've never waited or alerted the US to the 72hrs either. Drive to NY ot MI in the morning, pick up sled and cross border that afternoon.

many sleds and ATVs! last year was last time. Never turned back, Canada Customs doesn't give a #*$&@ about USA. All they want is the TAX!!
You don't have to go through any check point on US side to get to Canada. drive right by and head to Can Customs. I've never waited or alerted the US to the 72hrs either. Drive to NY ot MI in the morning, pick up sled and cross border that afternoon.

The only problem I can see is that they do random checks of vehicles leaving the US. It's not very common but does happen. I phoned a Canadian customs officer this morning and verified they would not make me go back and get a stamp but she mentioned the random vehicle checks on the US side.

I work in the US and cross the border ALOT. I have never been stopped or seen anyone else stopped. There usually is a barrier on the left as you pass the US custom stop and cant get over there. Only a way out back to Canada if they don't admit you. Don't sweat it..

I've been stopped once at Ogdensburg but just coming back from a shopping trip. Looked like they were maybe looking for somebody. They just chatted me up, asking all was fine and let us on our way.

I have imported a Phazer from the US once about 4 years ago and didn't stop or do the 72 hour thing for export papers. Apparently it's to ensure there are no liens or outstanding tax. Whizzed by the US border without any issue. On the Canadian side, they made me pay HST on the sale price, gave me the paperwork for RIV and goodbye. I even asked if they cared if it was stamped on the US side for export and they didn't give a #*$&@. The only problem I could see is if you ever tried to cross back in the US with the sled and they check the VIN, they might see it was a US vehicle that was not authorized to be exported.

I've been stopped once at Ogdensburg but just coming back from a shopping trip. Looked like they were maybe looking for somebody. They just chatted me up, asking all was fine and let us on our way.

I have imported a Phazer from the US once about 4 years ago and didn't stop or do the 72 hour thing for export papers. Apparently it's to ensure there are no liens or outstanding tax. Whizzed by the US border without any issue. On the Canadian side, they made me pay HST on the sale price, gave me the paperwork for RIV and goodbye. I even asked if they cared if it was stamped on the US side for export and they didn't give a #*$&@. The only problem I could see is if you ever tried to cross back in the US with the sled and they check the VIN, they might see it was a US vehicle that was not authorized to be exported.

No worries about going back to the US with it. The sled is a mint 1996 Phazer LE that I plan to mod with a 151 track.

I did the AES, but it didn't even seem necessary. The Canadian agents were focused on determining the accuracy of the sale price. Went to facebook and everything. Lots of guys apparently try and fudge the cost. I'm not even sure that the Canada side checked the AES.

I did the AES, but it didn't even seem necessary. The Canadian agents were focused on determining the accuracy of the sale price. Went to facebook and everything. Lots of guys apparently try and fudge the cost. I'm not even sure that the Canada side checked the AES.

It does seen silly that they say the AES is necessary to make sure no vehicles leave the country that have liens on them. They apply it to snowmobiles, motorcycles and even a riding lawn mower but not the $100,000 boat your bringing across. I bought a truck across the border about six years ago and followed the rules sending the US border a copy of the registration and a copy of my driver's license 72 hours before crossing. Now you have to hire a agency to handle the paperwork and they charge you $75 US bucks. If I decide the sled is a pile and don't buy it I'm out the $75.

Probably just going to cross.

Back