• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Input Needed: 136" Track - Ripsaw vs. Predator 9819 6-P

RobX-1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 50th Apex XT-X, 08 40th Apex LTX GT, 08 40th Nytro RTX, & 03 RX-1
Guys, I need help on deciding between these two tracks. I'm going to extend my Expert X to a 136" this off-season and am having a tough deciding between these two. I've probably heard as may yays as I've heard nays for the Ripsaw but haven't heard too many bad things about the 9819. I'm actually running the 9818 track which is the same as the 9819 but in a 121" version and really liked that track. When I was one of the fortunately ones to get Yamaha to warranty that POS finger track, I would have gone with the Ripsaw but it wasn't going to be released until the following year so I ended up going with the proven 9818. I think one of the possible reasons we hear more about the negatives on the Ripsaw is that ever since 04, most manufacturers are running them and there are more on the trails as compared to the number of Predators (9818/9819). From what I've found comparing the two is that the Ripsaw is a good track for trails whereas the Predator is good for off trail or deep snow. Most of my riding is done on the trails in the UP. I will most likely be installing studs down the center only and nothing too aggressive; I only ran 144 down the center on the 9818 and will probably run the equivalent on whichever track I choose. Thanks in advance for any insight you might have between these two tracks. ;)!

LazyBastard said:
And the 9855 your 03 came with was a GREAT track, just not suited for the power.

That was my exact thoughts too. It would have been ideal for a 600-700. I was actually going to have one of my friends contact my dealer and make them an offer on it since they needed a new track for the VMax 600 but they told me they had to send the track back to Yamaha.

ive put a few thousand miles on my 136 ripsaw the last few seasons with no problems of any kind. i got a good deal from a dealer clearing year end stock, it was the closed window type. i drilled out the windows with a 11/8 hole saw from new and it works great. the one advantage i found with the ripsaw pattern is hardly any loss in top speed. other 11/4 tracks lost 3-5mph on top. the rip saw is soft compared to the others, and many say not as good in the deeper snow, but it works well for my type of riding that includes a lot of high speed lake running.

Wow and to think only a few years ago the Ripsaw was the best track ever. Funny how fast it became junk. After 8000 mile on a 136" I had no reason to dislike it. Course I'm just a groomed trail rider.

Here,s a twist. I 136,ed the x-pert x in my 03 Turbo & installed a 14 wide free ride 136. Probably one of the best tracks out of the kazillion or so I have ever tried!

RE: Track

Turk who makes that track i'm kinda looking for a track like that.

Thanks

14 works just fine, you just need to take 1/8 inch off of each rear outer axel colar. I ran one on my viper and it was an awsome track on anything but ice. Maxdlx

I disagree with most of the RipSaw comments in this thread. The 1.25" RipSaw is a great hard-pack track and easily outperforms my current 1.25" Predator 9819 in terms of penetrating bite on hard packed trails.

However, in loose/ deep/ powder snow conditions, the Predator is a far superior track and since I do a lot of off-trail riding these days, the Predator is a better choice for me.

If I did not do as much off trail riding, I would have gladly stuck with the RipSaw.

I have the Ripsaw and dont have any issues with it at all. I ride off trail with my RX-1 and no problem what so ever. I know there are better tracks for off trail use and everbody has likes and dislikes but the Ripsaw is anything but junk.

If "anything" means "worse than garbage", then I agree. These ripjunks are DELICATE, and have VERY VERY POOR TRACTION when compared to other 1.25" tracks, and even when compared to a GOOD 1.0" track. If your previous experience was only with yokohama 0.725" tracks, then yes, the ripjunk will be better. Just not good enough considering the alternatives.

Back