• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

installing MPI TURBO questions

..SNAKEBIT..

Expert
bought used MPI 190 kit
no hose for air/oil separator to air filter tube? I got a 12" hose w90' bend on one end and what looks to be a small filter inserted in the other end. hose says Mountain Performance on it, was this old set up or someone modifying it?
just need to get hose and make my it from sep to air inlet tube?

O2 sensor is in aero silencer inlet, should I get a O2 bung and move it to before turbo?

all installed, setting GEMS
mode flashing
1 = 4
2 = 4 & 8
3 = 3
4 = 5
5 = 3.5 & 8

low elevation settings from MPI site @ Allen
is this correct DOUBLE checking all my work.

Last edited:
I just sent these setting to a guy and he went from 10 mpg to 14, not sure how they differ form Ulmer.
Green 2
Yellow 3
Red 2
Green/Blue 3
Red/Blue 7

I just sent these setting to a guy and he went from 10 mpg to 14, not sure how they differ form Ulmer.
Green 2
Yellow 3
Red 2
Green/Blue 3
Red/Blue 7

Are these settings with new flash? Low elevation? I ask because since the new flash my gas mileage sucks but my idle AFR is very lean...mid 16's unless I feather the throttle. I've been thinking about adjusting the GEMS but wish I had somebody with experience to show me. Also thinking about PC5 Pti but also really like the EABC.. if I could get 14 us MPG I'd be happy.

Are these settings with new flash? Low elevation? I ask because since the new flash my gas mileage sucks but my idle AFR is very lean...mid 16's unless I feather the throttle. I've been thinking about adjusting the GEMS but wish I had somebody with experience to show me.

Low elevation, EABC settings. FYI when cruising with little to no boost you should see the 14s, WOT should be 11.9 or very lows 12s. There is also more info on gems settings here: http://viper.mountainperformance.com/Viper-GEMS-Controller_ep_48.html

The setting I have posted need to be checked VIA AFR gauge in all RPM ranges.

Here is the reason my other numbers 1 thru 4 are different:
Mode 5: Transition from Yellow (Mode 2) to Red (Mode 3) (Red/Blue in color). This is NOT a mixture setting (Mode 1,2,3 & 4 are all Mixture Settings). This is the adjustment that sets where your GEMS switches from cruising Mode to main jet Mode. The effect of this is a lower number is Richer when cruising! (this is backwards from the other 4 modes; Modes 1,2,3 & 4 a lower number is a Leaner setting).

This is what kills you gas mileage in my eyes.

I hope this helps.

Ok, so I suck at colors. had my wife watch colors
1 green 4
2 yellow 4
3 red 3
4 grn/blue 5
5 red/blue 3.5
starting point

Green 2
Yellow 3
Red 2
Green/Blue 3
Red/Blue 7

I am going to give your numbers a try. I have boost & A/F guages and mine runs VERY rich in the 0-1psi range when cruising down the trail at 60-ish MPH with minimal throttle input. I am seeing 9.7-10.2:1 A/F ratios there. I can never get better than 10.5mpg regardless of whether I take it easy or run it hard. This is all U.P. groomed trail riding.

The only thing I may leave as-is for now is the Red (Main Jet). As it is now at 3.0, I have seen 13.0:1 flash briefly on the gauge when doing some short WOT pulls. But... I am also seeing the boost very briefly hit 5.0-5.5psi and then settling to 4.5psi and staying there.

Last edited:
I am gogin to give your numbers a try. I have boost & A/F guages and mine runs VERY rich in the 0-1psi range when cruising down the trail at 60-ish MPH with minimal throttle input. I am seeing 9.7-10.2:1 A/F ratios there. I can never get better than 10.5mpg regardless of whether I take it easy or run it hard. This is all U.P. groomed trail riding.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works out for you.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works out for you.

I am assuming you gave those settings to a trail rider that runs at typical Michigan U.P. elevations, correct?
Out of curiosity, what muffler was the guy running that you gave those settings to? I have a modified MPI trail muffler that flows nearly as much as the Aero but without the sound. It may require slightly richer settings if the other guy was using a stock MPI trail muffler.

I am assuming you gave those settings to a trail rider that runs at typical Michigan U.P. elevations, correct?
Out of curiosity, what muffler was the guy running that you gave those settings to? I have a modified MPI trail muffler that flows nearly as much as the Aero but without the sound. It may require slightly richer settings if the other guy was using a stock MPI trail muffler.

I run these setting on 2 sleds both with stock MPI quiet Mufflers. The only color that you should really be worried about is the red. Watch the AFR at WOT it should not be above 12.1. Cruising with little to know boost it will be in the 14s at times. Most of the time you should see 11 and 12 even 13 with a few lbs. Are you running EABC?

One thing to remember is when you nail it, it will over boost you have to hold it for a 5 seconds at least to let the boost settle in and the AFR to catch up.

I run these setting on 2 sleds both with stock MPI quiet Mufflers. The only color that you should really be worried about is the red. Watch the AFR at WOT it should not be above 12.1. Cruising with little to know boost it will be in the 14s at times. Most of the time you should see 11 and 12 even 13 with a few lbs. Are you running EABC?

Yes, I am running the EABC.

Back