• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Intercooler clamps

Look at the front of my intercooler. There's the blowout valve. Mine blew off under boost as I imagine everybody else's have. Blowoff only opens when you let off the throttle.

Mine blew off again at 5 psi these clamps stink and it ruind my FIRST day out LOL

Interested in which or where someone can get a T bolt clamp and I will look into using a small ratchet strap. FLYBYU where did you secure yours too? The steering gate ? You just hold it done and not ratched towards the engine somehow like the light bracket?

FPP uses two small turn-buckles at the top corners of all their intercoolers to secure them to the steering hoop (by where the black headlight pod mount bolts on). This aleviates stress on the boots and clamps so they aren't getting pulled on and the intercooler can NEVER blow off. I've seen this setup on some of his Yamaha's to over 35 lbs boost.
You can see one at the top left corner of my intercooler in the pic's.

Attachments

• p1010002.JPG
    p1010002.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 153
  • p1010004.JPG
    p1010004.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 142
Which series fastsled?

I adjusted my clamps this time and got them to cinch back down BEHIND the stop on the IC outlets so it cant blow off again. Stupid me in a hurry. I would still like a solution. Thanks

kinger said:
Not blowing off just stripping out and overall not very durable. I have had the IC off a total of 3 times and they were shot. Maybe I tighten them to hard I really put it to it when I do tighten them.

I don't think T bolt clamps fit between the TB's do they?

You have to Ease up on the Wheaties, your over-tightening them for sure, I have the original set on my RX1 Race sled and they have been on and off 50 times with 3 different inter-coolers.

They are Very High quality clamps from the Aircraft industry and are the only ones we can find in that width to fit between the intercooler and carbs.

Ted.

blowoff fix

kinger,
Like the FPP setup I strap to the steering hoop. I just did it a bit differently. I had small angle brackets welded to the IC, figured it would maintain integrety of IC w/o drilling holes. Also I can now tighten from one side. It now Never blows off.

All parts available at home depot.
Good luck,
Srx74

Attachments

• DSC00658.JPG
    DSC00658.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 133
I don't run any turnbuckles or straps on my RX1 at 25 psi boost.

A few tips that help eliminate intercoolers blowing off.

Clean your carbs and carb boots with Acetone and use brake clean as a lubricant during assembly.

I make Carb Rings that get epoxied to the carb inlets that have lips on them to eliminate any clamping issues.

http://turboaddictionparts.com/catalog/ ... cts_id=313

Use Silicone hose rather than Radiator hose to connect from the carbs to the intercooler.

Make sure the intercooler also has lips on the ring inlets.

Same thing clean with acetone and use brakleen as a lubricant when assembling.

The Right size and design bypass valve is Crucial.

I recommend the Vortech Race Bypass.
Ted.

machzed said:
Why dont you install a blow off valve then you dont have to worry about blowing your intercooler off any more!

If you look at the front of my intercooler you'll see a big blue vortech on there.

After I adjusted mine properly (ie being able to see the clamp sink into the rubber boot BEHIND the lip of the throttle body) mine lasted all season just like last season.

I guess at 10-11 psi you dont need drastic measures to keep it on there.

Back from the dead, popping off my IC after 20 psi testing, I will try the boot leg strap before welding in some spots to put turnbuckles in this summer. Great advice here!

Is it the intercooler blowing off at the throttle bodies or the charge tube going into the intercooler coming off?

Does your charge tube and/or your intercooler inlet have a bead rolled in the end or a weld built up around it to give more bite on the boot and keep it from blowing off?

IC is blowing off the TBs, they are so narrow and the clamps are sitting on the lip on both the IC and TB. I really need to find some Oetiker clamps as they work best and are skinny in width (less then .5" and will fit behind the lip of the IC and TBs).

Back