• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Interesting rumor

Well the weight difference between a Phazer FX and a Nytro XTX is 22kg (48 lb) and to me that says that the Phazer is heavy since it is supposedly a smaller sled than the Nytro.

So a new version of the Phazer with a two cylinder Nytro engine at 90-110 hp without gear reduction in a better chassis, read lighter, and also as an XTX version would be sweet.

rindtj said:
My Point wasn't to diss the Phazer. I am just saying for the next generation sled-they probably wouldn't bother making an 80 HP variant and should be able to make a chassis better than either the phazer or the nytro that can morph the two together.

Exactly X2.......current Phazer falls into entry level market segment it is what it is a fun little sled but does not match up well Poo HP 125 2s & bang for buck with new 2013 Polaris Indy. Yam needs to do a lot of morphing to keep up with competition or get out. No one dissing Phazer or owners just needs update along with the entire line. There will always be riders that are fond of older models heck I luved the family Bravo talk about getting into tight areas.lol

The Phazer has the benefit of the torque on the bottom end that the 2 strokes don't so a small bump in power 100 to 110 would be huge ... Again not every sled needs to be a power monster ... Ideally the sled would be available with a couple of engine choices and a bit lighter / improved suspension.
Also the reliability of the 4 stroke vs the current lot of 2 strokes is worth a bit extra- depends on where your priorities lie.

SRXSRULE2 said:
What do you all think ski-doo built the 600 A.C.E. to compete with? Thinking they saw what Yamaha did with the phazer and jumped on it.

I think the 600 ACE is an economy cruiser, where as the Phazer was meant to be a rough trail/backcountry aggressive sled. This IMO is the problem with the Phazer, people SEE it as a kids or woman's sled because of the lack power (regardless if that power is necessary) and don't consider it to be serious.

I dont know what the future holds nor can i speculate. I have owned yamaha products for the better part of 25 yrs and never dreamed I would own anything different but if they dont do something new this year im jumping ship. I love my apex MTN but its too damn heavy and ill be in the market for something this coming summer/fall.....wish they would put the apex motor in a lighter chassis...so we will see...keeping my fingers crossed.

rindtj said:
SRXSRULE2 said:
What do you all think ski-doo built the 600 A.C.E. to compete with? Thinking they saw what Yamaha did with the phazer and jumped on it.

I think the 600 ACE is an economy cruiser, where as the Phazer was meant to be a rough trail/backcountry aggressive sled. This IMO is the problem with the Phazer, people SEE it as a kids or woman's sled because of the lack power (regardless if that power is necessary) and don't consider it to be serious.
Yes you would be right about it being an economy cruiser, but last I heard the phazers were excellent on fuel as well. The 600 ace is available in a short skid (120) as well as the renegade chassis (136) for rough trail/ off trail just the same. I only rode one of the new phazers and for the hp rating I wouldn't say it was under powered. Can't compare it to a nytro that has 50 more hp. I grew up with the original phazer's and phazer II's and still see them on the trail. My aunt still rides hers and her son's gf has a 4stroke phazer. Having said that I knew a lot of "guys" that owned them as well. They were and still are a light and fun sled can't see why they would drop it.

My phazer never take mopre then 2L/10Km maybe like 2,2 in in spring when playing all day. the nytro take more like 3L/10Km.

From what I heard the phazer and ACE cant be compared, the phazer outperform the ACE but the ace has better fuel eco etc and the ace has a 600 cc 55-60hp and the phazer has 100 cc less and 20+hp more. :yam:

my 2009 Phazer GT weighs the same as my 1985 Phazer. The only reason for me buying my 2009 versus any other model. The 85' Phazer is rated 53 hp i think. The 09' is 80 hp that's close to 30 hp more. Now my old Phazer was a hand full. The 09' is a riot to drive. Plus it's light enough to "throw around". All my friends I ride with have Nitro's Apex's and Cat 700 and Ski-Don't 600's . They dont laugh or even ask me to race. I have pulled everyone of them out of the hole untill I reach about 50 mph. on the trail they cant hold a candle to me. The Ski-Don't 600 is the only one that will give me a run for my money in the trail but he is ridding is butt of to keep up. I average about 16mpg. I followed a kid on a Cat 550? and he couldn't shake me for his life. I have grown up on Phazers and love them. It cracks me up when people say they are heavy and are slow. compaired to the old ones they are a rocket ship. If you are a BIG guy and dont want to give the sled riders in put (just sit and ride) the Phazer is NOT for you. My big friends don't like it cause it's small and nimble. If you like to ride dirt bikes and are a active rider the Phazer will be a fun sled for you. In our group everybody gets close to the same mpg. And on open road yea it's not quick but for me and how and where we ride it's perfect. Thanks, for the rant...

I rode an 09 Phazer GT and it was the reason I bought a new machine ( bought an 06 apex GT ) The clutching is very similar the way it drives pretty cool. The Phazer had loads of torque and the one i rode had no studs so it was a blast in the twisties. I had a lot of fun running with 600's and an 800 no trouble keeping up until the rail bed came. Are we actually talking about Yamaha coming out with a Turbo for Apex in 2014? That gets me warm and fuzzy inside. If so I'll be the first to buy one right off the truck.

I am tired of waiting for a new Yamaha chassi now! If they dont come up with something new now for 2014 i will also jump ship and be looking for another brand.
Polaris Pro have my attention.

We jumped ship to Ski-Doo this year. Really hoping Yamaha comes out with something new for 2014. We had a Vector and Nytro and did not want to replace them with pretty much the same sleds we already had. A front dump exhaust version of the Nytro engine in Cats chassis would be sweet. I would buy one for 2015/2016. I will be running my new 800R E-Tec for three winters. Same with my wifes new 600. It is kinda weird though. We had great service at Kens Yamaha in Norway Maine. Kinda feel like a trader leaving them....

Back