• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is it best to avoid the late build 2016 SR Vipers (bad rods)?

YamaSpark

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR VIPER S-TX 137 DX
I found a super clean, low mileage 2016 Viper ST-X 137DX for $7500, but I'm a bit paranoid to buy it because of the "new and improved" engine that may or may not have bad rods.
Has it been determined if the bad engines fall into a certain serial number range?
Or, for peace of mind, would it just be best to avoid all 2016 Vipers with the new engine?
Thanks!

I believe it was only an issue if you added a turbo to it. I think if you leave it stock its fine.

I read somewhere on this forum that a few 2016 non-turbo engines had blown due to rod failures.

O really? News to me! Yeah maybe if I were you I would steer clear of the 16's then just to be sure. That's the last thing you want to be doing is rebuilding engines.

I think way less bad rod 16's are out there than even Yamaha thought. That said I would try to convince owner to let you do a file test on rod through engine Sidecover before buying. Only costs a gasket,oil and some time. Or just shake the dice. That's a real nice price!

Would think they caught it by then.
Yeah, I know but with not covering all 16's and not having to cover turbos anymore I wanted to make sure they didn't continue using them.I was looking at a 2017 mtx 153 at my dealer.

I think way less bad rod 16's are out there than even Yamaha thought. That said I would try to convince owner to let you do a file test on rod through engine Sidecover before buying. Only costs a gasket,oil and some time. Or just shake the dice. That's a real nice price!
I thought about the file test also, but unfortunately, the owner won't allow me to do that.
I sure wish that Yamaha was more open about this issue, but I guess that I shouldn't be surprised, they just want the issue to go away. One would think that they would know what engine serial numbers have the bad batch of rods. A World Class engine builder should have documentation showing what batch of internal parts go into each engine.
I wonder if Yamaha would replace an out of warranty 2016.5 engine if a Dealer could show that it had a bent non-heat treated rod? Probably not....

I thought about the file test also, but unfortunately, the owner won't allow me to do that.
I sure wish that Yamaha was more open about this issue, but I guess that I shouldn't be surprised, they just want the issue to go away. One would think that they would know what engine serial numbers have the bad batch of rods. A World Class engine builder should have documentation showing what batch of internal parts go into each engine.
I wonder if Yamaha would replace an out of warranty 2016.5 engine if a Dealer could show that it had a bent non-heat treated rod? Probably not....
I don’t know if they would either. Have to wonder long term for the NA motors also. If I remember right the bad rods snapped quick at 180+ hp. So what about stock hp + time? Like ten years? Not a good feeling. Feel this is going to bite Yamaha and owners bad. Hasn’t even been good snow years since 16.5. I really think if it does become a issue on na they almost have to step up since it would be very bad publicity otherwise. Let’s hope it never does.

Me and my brother both had our 16's turbo'd with with the 190 MPI kit. His block ventilated last January 13th with just over 2000 miles on it, so he got a new motor. Mine did not blow up, and was updated with the new rods at same time he got a new motor installed. My sled had almost the same miles as brother's sled. His new motor has the updated rods, too. Both our sleds had the bad rods, of course one of his failed, but mine were soft after checking them at the dealer following the update. Sleds ran great the balance of the season after the updates.

Me and my brother both had our 16's turbo'd with with the 190 MPI kit. His block ventilated last January 13th with just over 2000 miles on it, so he got a new motor. Mine did not blow up, and was updated with the new rods at same time he got a new motor installed. My sled had almost the same miles as brother's sled. His new motor has the updated rods, too. Both our sleds had the bad rods, of course one of his failed, but mine were soft after checking them at the dealer following the update. Sleds ran great the balance of the season after the updates.
YIKES! That sucks that both had the bad rods. Well, at least Yamaha took care of you both.
Did you guys buy the sleds from the same dealer at the same time? Do you happen to know the build dates of the sleds?

There is no build date or serial number that can be relied on. I have a 2016 MPI turbo. My rods were replaced. The factory rods were fine. I had about 4000K on it and much of it hard. No issues at all. I agree with Cannondale27, there are a lot less bad ones out there than originally thought.

Back