• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is my Apex timing correct?

Bicycle_Mafia

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex RZR
So my 2006 apex engine gets extremely hot, has very poor throttle response, runs extremely rich, has no power. It's done this since the day I bought the motor 5 years ago. Since then, i rebuilt it with low compression wiseco turbo pistons and wiseco head gasket that came with it (and i turbo'd it ofcourse). I rebuilt it just like the service manual said. Ok so I thought I would take a look at the timing today. I lined up the 1st mark dead even on the stator (spinning engine clockwise) with #1 piston at TDC. The dots on the cams do not line up perfectly with the alignment marks. They are about half a dot off or so. And if I spin the engine to line the dots up where they should be, then the stator cover mark is almost at the 3rd line on the stator. If that makes sense. I'll post pics. Is this maybe my problem? If so, what could I do to solve this? If I adjust the cams 1 tooth, it moves the dots too far. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190407_164308.jpg
    20190407_164308.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Screenshot_20190407-173951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-173951_Gallery.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 656
  • Screenshot_20190407-173940_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-173940_Gallery.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 606
  • Screenshot_20190407-174238_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-174238_Gallery.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 613
  • Screenshot_20190407-174756_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-174756_Gallery.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 616
  • Screenshot_20190407-174231_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-174231_Gallery.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 674
  • Screenshot_20190407-174816_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-174816_Gallery.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 724
  • Screenshot_20190407-174855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-174855_Gallery.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 636

I think there should be another straight line mark with a capital T beside it.
Those marks you are showing are for ignition.
They won't be far away from those marks.

I am pretty the first mark is top dead center and then the 2 Mark's with the line between them are ignition.

I am pretty the first mark is top dead center and then the 2 Mark's with the line between them are ignition.
Don't have one in front of me, but I thought there was another nearby with a T beside it.

I downloaded one off a site a long time ago but I haven't been able to find it since then. I'm in Arkansas, so it's not like I can go to a dealer and pick one up or anything.

74nytro I just rotated the motor twice and all I saw was |------| | on the stator. And guys, I messed with my chain tensioner (backed it out and let it go back in with a small flatblade screwdriver) and I rotated the motor again and it made the holes a hair further off. Is it my tensioner?? Not sure how to test for a bad tensioner.

74nytro I just rotated the motor twice and all I saw was |------| | on the stator. And guys, I messed with my chain tensioner (backed it out and let it go back in with a small flatblade screwdriver) and I rotated the motor again and it made the holes a hair further off. Is it my tensioner?? Not sure how to test for a bad tensioner.
Another way to verify TDC is to remove either cylinder 1 or 4 spark plugs. Insert a straight rod of some sort, then carefully bring to top. You may have to rotate back and forth a few times at the top to find the very top. Then see what mark shows on flywheel.

Okay my timing chain has a lot of slack in it and is just really stretched out. I'm going to replace it and get the timing lined back up. Can I take engine cover off behind the clutch in order to get the chain off? Or can I take the chain apart to get it off and the new one on?

I downloaded one off a site a long time ago but I haven't been able to find it since then. I'm in Arkansas, so it's not like I can go to a dealer and pick one up or anything.

If you sign up for a VIP Membership you can request a manual from a moderator.

Just make sure you always turn the engine (clutch) counter clockwise to keep the timing chain tight on the exhaust side. If you rotate it clockwise to fine tune the T mark the slack in the chain will cause the exhaust cam marks to be off slightly, this is most important when re-installing the cam gears and chain.
I always use a dial indicator on top of number 1 piston to verify exact TDC

Rick Achilles thanks for the tip. You scared me for a sec. But yes I rotated it with the 19mm bolt through the stator cover clockwise. Which would be the same direction as what you said. I've got a new timing chain on the way. I guess I am going to take the primary off and pop the engine cover off from behind the clutch and hope that I can remove the chain from the crankshaft that way. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong because that's what my plan is to do so far. Thanks for the replies so far

Rick Achilles thanks for the tip. You scared me for a sec. But yes I rotated it with the 19mm bolt through the stator cover clockwise. Which would be the same direction as what you said. I've got a new timing chain on the way. I guess I am going to take the primary off and pop the engine cover off from behind the clutch and hope that I can remove the chain from the crankshaft that way. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong because that's what my plan is to do so far. Thanks for the replies so far
Did you changed it? Of so how did tou removed the crank gear?

Back