• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

is this a yamaha engine,880cc

Real pic ?
IMG_5938.jpg

Cat could barely break 155 hp with the 800 , now they can put out 182 hp ... I don't think so . Now if it a Yamaha motor I would believe it . I wouldn't trust the motor from cat with very little experience making motors & no R&D money (Arctic Cat bankruptcy) to make a good motor.
On a side note ... we can't talk about 2 strokes here this is a 4 stroke only forum ... lol
The former 800 engines from Polaris and Doo were 155-158, so Cat is in the ball park.

The numbers are always on the high side. Even if the new Ctec2 motor is on the high side it will still be a monster

Yes a cat engine at 185 for 880cc is on the high side, and they didn't break 155 with a 800 ..lol

Well if Yamaha makes this new Cat ctec 880 engine as part of their 2020 lineup, what's really going to be funny is that Yamaha will put their clutches on it and their skis paint the dam thing blue then charge 1000 bucks more for it and the true blue's that buy it will STILL think there riding on a Yamaha, lol, ha, ha, ha, ah... ha ha ha :rofl:

I’m pretty sure the majority of Yamaha, “True Blues,” aren’t exactly booger eaters. I would guess we/they are pretty savvy buyers, and probably look towards Yamaha for the least amount of ridiculous problems, already know the shortcomings of a Yamaha sled, and scrap the skis before they even touch the snow.

I would also guess most True Blues know that they buy Yamaha because of their spec writing and engineering, and the sourcing of products, and ideally for the final inspection and quality control....much of which would be, (naturally,) lost if having a separate entity (Cat) doing the builds.

My Apex is built like a tank.....but I sure don’t kid myself and think tanker trucks of liquid plastics rolled into the Japanese factory, so Yamaha could pour their own bogies. Nah...it was simply sourced out like everything else, and just had a couple of better inspectors at the end of the line.

If Yamaha posted a team of quality control inspectors at Cat....and no payment w/o approval, maybe there would be less issues? I don’t know...it is what it is.

Q. Arrius

I sure hope not. Sure a 2 stroke will lure in people from other brands, but I think it's safe to say those on a Yamaha today are on Yamaha because of 4 stroke engines they produce. From my perspective a 2 stroke will have very little appeal to their existing customer base.

Wrong!

Recent sales figures do not seem to support a 4 stroke only vision as being a market leading strategy.

Yamaha used to be synonymous with reliability. Now, right or wrong, all anyone seems to talk about is Yamahas being heavy. It's annoying, but they're not totally wrong. Going all 4 stroke was bold, but did it really work?

Recent sales figures do not seem to support a 4 stroke only vision as being a market leading strategy.

Yamaha used to be synonymous with reliability. Now, right or wrong, all anyone seems to talk about is Yamahas being heavy. It's annoying, but they're not totally wrong. Going all 4 stroke was bold, but did it really work?

No it did not work only making 4-strokes. It's like Ford, Chevy, or Ram(Dodge) only making cars and expected to survive without selling trucks. EVERYONE would think that's a crazy business plan. There is no denying that true Yamahas are very heavy. Take for instance the Apex, introduced in 2006. The rest of the industry at that time was all about weight reduction. Some manufactures went to0 far and durability suffered. After the Apex was released, they were criticized for being too heavy. Some don't care about weight and they don't need to be featherweights, but Yamaha added features to the sled that added weight over the years. They really made no effort to reduce weight. Thirteen years later and a 2018 Apex weighs more than a 2006. the Apex got better year after year, but sales went down year after year. That tells us all we need to know about Yamaha's ability to make decisions. Many on this site have no interest in a Yamaha two-stroke, but you can't ignore how many are sold every year. I bet Yamaha wishes they had some of those sales.

No it did not work only making 4-strokes. It's like Ford, Chevy, or Ram(Dodge) only making cars and expected to survive without selling trucks. EVERYONE would think that's a crazy business plan. There is no denying that true Yamahas are very heavy. Take for instance the Apex, introduced in 2006. The rest of the industry at that time was all about weight reduction. Some manufactures went to0 far and durability suffered. After the Apex was released, they were criticized for being too heavy. Some don't care about weight and they don't need to be featherweights, but Yamaha added features to the sled that added weight over the years. They really made no effort to reduce weight. Thirteen years later and a 2018 Apex weighs more than a 2006. the Apex got better year after year, but sales went down year after year. That tells us all we need to know about Yamaha's ability to make decisions. Many on this site have no interest in a Yamaha two-stroke, but you can't ignore how many are sold every year. I bet Yamaha wishes they had some of those sales.
The frustrating part was that it was not only the engine of course, but the chassis and suspension as well. Those bolts that hold the front A arms on can also be used as draw bolts on farm equipment.

As much as I want to believe that this is a Yamaha engine, I don't think it is. It would be much easier for cat to take there current 800 and stretch it out to an 880. That's what ski-doo did with their 850. Its the same motor as the 800 but with a longer stroke. What people need to realize is the 2020 sleds that were tested were pre-production units so most likely the power was turned up. It will probably be closer to 175-180HP for the production units if this ends up being the real deal.

As much as I want to believe that this is a Yamaha engine, I don't think it is. It would be much easier for cat to take there current 800 and stretch it out to an 880. That's what ski-doo did with their 850. Its the same motor as the 800 but with a longer stroke. What people need to realize is the 2020 sleds that were tested were pre-production units so most likely the power was turned up. It will probably be closer to 175-180HP for the production units if this ends up being the real deal.
I think the DOO 850 is a completely different engine than the 800 it replaced. Nothing interchanges.

I think the DOO 850 is a completely different engine than the 800 it replaced. Nothing interchanges.
Yes parts are different but the bore is the same size between both engines. They just made the stroke longer to achieve the extra 50cc's

Back