• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

is this a yamaha engine,880cc

I think the DOO 850 is a completely different engine than the 800 it replaced. Nothing interchanges.
So basically they just tweaked what they already had. Its wasn't fully built from the ground up.

I sure hope not. Sure a 2 stroke will lure in people from other brands, but I think it's safe to say those on a Yamaha today are on Yamaha because of 4 stroke engines they produce. From my perspective a 2 stroke will have very little appeal to their existing customer base.
A 2 stroke bringing in more money would just mean more money to develop better 4 strokes for us. Just saying.

With the Yamaha engineers being in Minnesota for the last 5-6 years , I would say it's a good chance it's a Yamaha motor

A 2 stroke bringing in more money would just mean more money to develop better 4 strokes for us. Just saying.

I agree for sure. Just hope they give the true Yamaha 4 stroke following something new too!

At the end of the day , I would guess that selling more units a year would be the end goal for Yamaha. And getting back into selling 2 strokes will answer that . Making a another 130 hp plus 4stroke won't sell units ( unless the chassis changes ) . Most of us here have a 4 stroke, a 2 stroke will get new customers.

From what I have heard... When Cat release the 800 Ctec, they tested it in 3 different configurations. The 800, 850 and 900 configurations. So, I believe this to be legit and its not a Yamaha motor. I also believe Yamaha will use this motor as well for their mountain segment. Not the trail segment. They already use the 600 ctec in their lineup. I would ratjher have a CAT 2 stroke, then any DOO motor.

No. Aside from being the same bore, it is an all new engine.
All I'm saying is its easier to start from something that you already have and works well. It will make new designs much easier to come up with and its much faster in development. I say this because I'm a mechanical designer and do this every day for the HVAC industry.

From what I have heard... When Cat release the 800 Ctec, they tested it in 3 different configurations. The 800, 850 and 900 configurations. So, I believe this to be legit and its not a Yamaha motor. I also believe Yamaha will use this motor as well for their mountain segment. Not the trail segment. They already use the 600 ctec in their lineup. I would ratjher have a CAT 2 stroke, then any DOO motor.
Why would they pick a underpowered 800 in 18' when skidoo introduced the 850 in 17' ? & Cat had no R&D money for multiple motor configurations if they where on the verge of bankruptcy . I still willing to put my money on a Yamaha motor next year .

IMG_5940.PNG
G
IMG_5941.PNG

All I know is if Yamaha is supplying a 880cc motor I'm going to be the first guy slapping down my deposit. Give it to me in a 121-129 RTX suspension also. Perfect sled for the fun tight and twisty trails. I will keep the 290hp Sidewinder I have for the fun U.P straights and swooping turns. Best of both worlds

All I know is if Yamaha is supplying a 880cc motor I'm going to be the first guy slapping down my deposit. Give it to me in a 121-129 RTX suspension also. Perfect sled for the fun tight and twisty trails. I will keep the 290hp Sidewinder I have for the fun U.P straights and swooping turns. Best of both worlds
If I wouldn't have bought a new sled last year I would be right there with you. But I'm still paying off lasts years buy.

I sure hope not. Sure a 2 stroke will lure in people from other brands, but I think it's safe to say those on a Yamaha today are on Yamaha because of 4 stroke engines they produce. From my perspective a 2 stroke will have very little appeal to their existing customer base.
You are correct the people on Yamaha's today are here because of the 4 stroke motor all 156 of us now if Yamaha wants to continue to build sleds at a profit they need to attract new people back to Yamaha. I have no desire to go back to a two stroke but I do desire for Yamaha to build one. I want them to dominate the market and be profitable so they can continue to provide me with the best built Four stroke technology on the market and build a darn chassis that is up to Yamaha quality specks and works as well as the Pro Cross. Best way to do that is with money and to get money they need market share and this is a 2 stroke market for the majority of the market share. when I am out on the trails I hear from people on Doo's and poo's all the time saying they remember their Yamaha sleds of the past the 700 triples and such and they all wish they could get a Yamaha 2 stroke again because they all know Yamaha is the best motor manufacture out there and they want that back. if they broke their own mold and came back with a 2 stroke line up they would dominate again. if the people that are spending the money don't want what you are selling the sell what they want its not that hard.

I'm hoping for a fan cooled 4 stroke version of this sled from Yamaha. Don't need reverse or fancy clicker shocks. Just a fun smoke free reliable sled I can ride in 2" of snow if I want. Let's face it with the way seasons are any more if we had sleds that could be ridden in marginal conditions we'd all probably get more miles on and have fun!

Back