• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is this track in need of replacement?

brmurph

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 APEX XTX
2012 apex xtx, I was going to replace my track this year as I think it has almost 8000 miles on it, I am assuming it is the original track. I think from the factory these came with a Camoplast Ripsaw? Can anyone tell if it is indeed a Ripsaw track and more importantly does it need to be replaced? I bought the machine used so there is a possibility it has already been done, I just don't have enough experience to tell.
Thanks!

I would not replace it. Tracks, especially non studded tracks can easily go more than 10,000 miles. I agree with Mr. Sled looks pretty good to me.

nothing wrong with that track other than a torch taken to the wiskers in the holes/edge of track. i got around the 14000 mi mark on the factory one that came on my 11 xtx with no studs. was loosing the finger tips but main paddles still looked good. track is still going as far as i know on an old off trail mod sled built by troubled kids.

Definitely plenty more miles left on that track and yes, that's the Ripsaw track but not the Ripsaw II.

Probably the original Ripsaw track, I never use a track past 6000 miles, to many bad things could happen with that many miles. I would replace it that way you know for sure that it has been replaced.

Thanks all for the info. If/when I decide to replace the track any suggestions on what to replace it with? Should I stay with the factory Ripsaw? Should I consider pre studded track?

depends on your typical riding conditions and who is riding the sled. i cheaped out when i did mine and used a composit 1.5" lug track without studs as i do a bunch of off trail as well as trail riding and the composit 1.5 was $100 less than the camso ripsaw 1.25 nvm the cobra or ice cobra 1-3/8" lug. i did consider the ice cobra for it as my gf does ride that sled more than i do but the price loacally is what steered me to the composit. liking it so far.

After I put around 4500 on my ripsaw, it was still in good enough shape to get a fair amount of money out of it used. So it was a great down payment on my 1.6" Ice Cobra. You will be amazed how much better the xtx is with a bit more lug.

But yes, it does depend on where you ride most

I will concur that after installing the Ice Storm 1.5" track to my XTX late last season, there was a considerable difference between the Ripsaw II 1.25" I had been running. It came with the 1.75" Backcountry but thought it was too tall of lug for trail riding so went with the Ripsaw II. These 1.5"/1.6" lug tracks seem to be a nice happy medium.

Thanks. I ride 90% trails and 10% breaking trail on small lakes.

Thanks all for the info. If/when I decide to replace the track any suggestions on what to replace it with? Should I stay with the factory Ripsaw? Should I consider pre studded track?
Replace with another Ripsaw, best trail track. I wish they made a Ripsaw 2 in 144 but they don't. I put a Cobra on and replaced it after 800 miles, the lugs started ripping and cracking Cobra is a soft track.

i am liking my composit 1.5" https://compositsnowmobiletracks.com/product/c38-150-4452-snowmobile-track/ that i am running on my 11 xtx. feels like it grabs as good on trail as the ripsaw did and it is better in the bit of off trail i have done to this point.

as gf runs it mostly, i have a set of cable scratchers deployed all the time and i did put dupont sliders on it as she has not quite learned that burning plastic smell while riding = bad/need snow.

Well Teamblue4, I will admit that if Camso had offered the Ripsaw II in the 146" length, I would have replaced it with another and then run studs. Since that wasn't an option, opted to go with a taller lug pre-studded track as I was concerned with length of the stud needed to stud an 1.5" track.

Well Teamblue4, I will admit that if Camso had offered the Ripsaw II in the 146" length, I would have replaced it with another and then run studs. Since that wasn't an option, opted to go with a taller lug pre-studded track as I was concerned with length of the stud needed to stud an 1.5" track.
Exactly the reason I went with the 1.6 ice cobra. I wanted at least 1.5 but didn’t want long studs. It’s held up really well. Many of the tips are shaved off now but at over 7000 miles I’m tickled

Back