• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jackshaft Bearing replacement behind secondary plus noise

Firecatdude

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 ZR 9000 LTD
Hi, my buddy has a 2011 Apex se. We were riding today and he said the sled had developed a stutter or shutter with a noise to go with it. We noticed the seal for the bearing behind the secondary was no longer in the bearing. He limped home driving slow.

The shutter feel and noise gets worse when increasing speed. Would the bearing being bad cause this or is there more to it? At first we thought maybe chain needed to be tightened.

Also, can you change that bearing without disassembling chaincase/removing the jackshaft?

I’m not familiar with Yamaha’s at all unless it’s a Yamacat..lol...but willing to learn and he is new to this machine as well.

Thanks

580CAE71-BEF9-4E53-8731-EFCE00533D27.png

Yes, if you watch my Video, it will show with a little heat how that bearing will pop off.

Thanks for the video Mr. Sled. What the bearing number for the jackshaft bearing. Looks like a 630..something. Cant quite see it and when searching for it all I find is pre 2011 bearings. Thanks

Thanks for the video Mr. Sled. What the bearing number for the jackshaft bearing. Looks like a 630..something. Cant quite see it and when searching for it all I find is pre 2011 bearings. Thanks

I didnt even look at the bearing number, I order from Yamaha and slammed it in.

Ok. My buddy who owns the sled has connections to a parts store and can get things cheap and quick. He was thinking of getting a non oem so he could get it back together quicker.

Ok. Great video by the way. My buddy ordered a kit from all balls in the end. A question though. Why does the driveshaft bearing in the chaincase have seals on it when one side should be open to the oil and the other has a seal you press in? Thanks.

probably they bought the cheaper bearing with 2 seals to put into the kit that was all the right sizes. just pick out the seal so it matches what came out. that is what i did when i did my 2011 at 11000 mi.

probably they bought the cheaper bearing with 2 seals to put into the kit that was all the right sizes. just pick out the seal so it matches what came out. that is what i did when i did my 2011 at 11000 mi.

I am not talking about the kit having sealed bearings for the chain case. It actually doesn’t going by the picture on Royal Distributings website. It hasn’t arrived yet to verify. I’m talking about the one he installs in the video above. Thanks

Did yours have sealed bearings?

Chain case oil will weep past the bearing seals so as to lubricate the bearing but the seals also keep out metal shavings/debris should they exist.

Ok. Great video by the way. My buddy ordered a kit from all balls in the end. A question though. Why does the driveshaft bearing in the chaincase have seals on it when one side should be open to the oil and the other has a seal you press in? Thanks.

It the way Yamaha has always done it. The seal is always to the gear side and the seal on the shaft completes it. I agree and not sure why it would not be flipped but maybe its possible that the seal on the bearing flipped could be pushed out from oil and pressure from the oil being at the bottom.

I am not talking about the kit having sealed bearings for the chain case. It actually doesn’t going by the picture on Royal Distributings website. It hasn’t arrived yet to verify. I’m talking about the one he installs in the video above. Thanks

Did yours have sealed bearings?

dang, that was 4 years ago when i did it. i cannot remeber but i did use the all balls kit when i did it. i don't remeber but some times the kits come with fully sealed bearings in them and when i do them i just make them match what came out of what i am rebuilding. a tip for the bearing in the cover when you do them, put it over a heater to warm it up. i then used gloves to hold mine when i dropped it on a peice of plywood until the bearings came out.

It the way Yamaha has always done it. The seal is always to the gear side and the seal on the shaft completes it. I agree and not sure why it would not be flipped but maybe its possible that the seal on the bearing flipped could be pushed out from oil and pressure from the oil being at the bottom.

Ok. Thanks for the replies everyone. I know my Cat has no seals on the bearings themselves in the chaincase. Just seals in the chaincase housing. I would think your sidewinder would be the same.

I guess we will see when we open it up.

Without opening chaincase buddy was able to take off bearing on jackshaft clutch side because it looks like this..

Back