• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

just a quick question on fox floats

yzviper366

Lifetime Member
I am just wondering how long of a shock I can use before I would have to modify something for them to fit? Also are they just install and go? I have heard something like they have some kind of pump that is installed somewhere.

Thanks

yzviper366 said:
I am just wondering how long of a shock I can use before I would have to modify something for them to fit? Also are they just install and go? I have heard something like they have some kind of pump that is installed somewhere.

Thanks

The length depends on front end and how long the OEM shocks are.
Yes pretty much install and go after you set the air pressure.
They use an air pump similar to a small bike tire pump. I just keep the pump in my tunnel bag.
When checking/adjusting the air pressure, be sure to have the sled on it's side so that the shock is fully extended. Otherwise you will get a false higher than normal reading.

Bill

Ok cool. Well I measured my shocks and they are 17.5 eye to eye. I was wondering if I would be able to put 19 inch shocks in there ?

Not exactly on topic, but close enough...

I'm trying to get more bottom out resistance on my rear skid. Thought the Evol shocks may work, but I just got off the phone with a rep from FOX who says they can't do it for the rear (some clearance issues possibly)
I currently run fox floats.
and with 2 ppl on the sled, she bottoms out a fair bit - even under max pressure.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this (other than 'dont put 2 people on you sled')

thanks,

mateo said:
Not exactly on topic, but close enough...

I'm trying to get more bottom out resistance on my rear skid. Thought the Evol shocks may work, but I just got off the phone with a rep from FOX who says they can't do it for the rear (some clearance issues possibly)
I currently run fox floats.
and with 2 ppl on the sled, she bottoms out a fair bit - even under max pressure.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this (other than 'dont put 2 people on you sled')

thanks,

Hey mateo, which rear skid do you have?

The evol chamber will not increase bottoming resistance but actually decrease it.

I have a mt tamer.
2010 i think.
Fox floats. I've got them at 160 and 110ish. It's pretty stiff when riding solo, difficult handling, but any PSI less than that, and I'ts constantly on the floor, even on impeccably groomed trails going 30mph.

m

Try moving the rear shock lower mounting to the forward hole on the rail. As the rear skid compresses to near bottom out, the rear arm and shock become more parallel and the suspension gets softer.
I moved the the lower mount to the forward hole (which changes the arm to shock angle) and was able to decrease the rear shock pressure by 30 psi without it bottoming out like before. ;)!

HTH
Bill

I've two up'd on my sled due to a breakdown, and I didn't experience any bottoming out. I have a Mtn. Tamer skid with Fox Floats as well.

Hi Bill,
I have read about this 'Forward' mounting hole.
The iceage rails that I'm using don't have a forward mounting hole... just one hole.

how far forward should the 'forward' hole be relative to the back?

tx,

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 67
mateo said:
Hi Bill,
I have read about this 'Forward' mounting hole.
The iceage rails that I'm using don't have a forward mounting hole... just one hole.

how far forward should the 'forward' hole be relative to the back?

tx,

I believe the older ice age rails are the one's with the different hole selection... then again, it may be the newer rails. I forgot which?

Back