• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

JUST INSTALLED ECP FILTER KIT, PROBLEMS, HELP!!

BIG BLACK WARRIOR

VIP Member
I just installed the ECP filter kit, silver springs, and new plugs on Warrior. After instillation I went for a ride. When i hit throttle all the way, it would hesitate for about 3 or 4 seconds before it would respond and then only get up 8,800 RPM. :( Rode for about 10 minutes to make sure everything was warmed up and still had same results. Rechecked everything and everything looked OK. No other mods done to sled. With box air filter it would go up to 9800 rpm with no hesitation, and then climb up to 10,100 RPM. After much frustration I put everything back to stock setup and it ran fine. So then I put ECP filter kit back on and had the same bad results as first time. Anybody have any ideas of what is wrong. :?: Guess I will have to call Freddie in the morning.

I bet you don,t have your filters on properly. Check to see the carbs are sealed by the rubber fiitings properly.

Sounds to me like you either have a massive air leak somewhere like around the intake manifolds, left (or pulled) one or more of the carburetor synchronizing plugs or lines off or the snychronization is wayyy out of whack for some reason. The only other thing is perhaps a sparkplug boot/stick coil is not properly seated down and/or shorting against the engine deep inside the "well" they sit in.

Go over the procedure step by step while questioning every single thing you do as being correct.

If needed, call me. First time I have heard of this being a problem BBW. No offense intended but I cannot think of it being anything but a mistake made during the installation of the parts.

Freddie

Hesitation

Since it ran ok when you put it back to stock, I think you can probably eliminate an electrical problem. Sounds like a momentary lean bog. Too much air and not enough fuel. It has to be something with the way you put the filters on. When you changed the main jets, did you confuse the power jets with the mains? Someone else did this and had a similar problem. It would be easy to do because they look just alike. I don't know if it would even run but it might after a few seconds. Just a guess.
Hey guys, I just wated to let you guys know, that if you change your jetting, to not get the jets confused with the powerjet jets. They are right next to the main jet. I changed the power jet to a 160 from 75, and the pilot jet. The main jet stayed the same at 135. I had the biggest bog in the mid range. I was going to change jets to a 145 main, to lean it out a little, when I saw I took out 75's! I never gave it a thought, and do I feel STUPID. But, think of it this way, I ran a 10.441 with this setup on asphalt. what will it do now? Just letting you guys know the jets are exactly the same in size, so don't mess them up like I did.

Buckeye, Before you posted the message about possibly getting the main jet and pilot jet mixed up, I was thinking maybe I had made that mistake. So, I went back and switched all the jets around the way they should be, and that was the problem. Thanks for the post though, because if I hadn't thought about it, I certainly would have after reading your post. First time working on this type of carburator and I guess I should have not assumed I Knew which one was the main jet. It runs fine now, and also has a cool sound. Haven't really had a chance to run much with the ECP kit in yet, because our snow is down to about 4". Can't wait for about the 5th or 6th of January, where according to my calculations my area and Tug Hill should get in to some nice cold temperature, and a good chance of some decent snow. :D :D :D

Boston RX1 said:
BBW, Please let us know what you think of the kit when you get a chance to ride with it. Thanks.

I'll tell ya what I think Boston :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Without a doubt, it's the best bang for your buck bar none. Perfect throttle repsonse and pulls like a Freight Train :!:

Supertuner, I was with BBW on Saturday and he was looking to sell the kit. I told him something must be wrong with the setup because I know several people that had it and loved it and indicated it performed just as it was advertised. He said he would give it another shot. I am not sure what you mean, but I am all for the kit. I will be going with it in the near future. You know my situation with my mechanic, I have to live with him. Have a great day and a Happy New Year. I am glad BBW figured it out and will now be the lead sled. Only kidding, he was so far ahead of the rest of us, it was not funny.

Boston RX1 said:
I am not sure what you mean, but I am all for the kit.

What I mean is that at one time you were horny as hell to get a kit then once you got it, you sold it without even installing it.

Given the fact that your mechanic made some remarks about modifications in general and not just the air kit, I figured he got to you. I faxed him dynosheets and explanations of what this does and even you were surprised when he never replied.

I just don't want to see you miss out on a low cost mod that works real well. I know you explained why you wanted to sell the kit, but I can't help but think your decision making has been influenced by someone else. I just have a genuine concern for your happiness.

I have seen this before...

I am NOT and engineer, but I play one on the internet.

Freddie

Back