• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

K&N plus main jets

marker

So I have an 05 RX1, I installed a K&N intake and also upsized the main jets to 165 and wow what a change, performs like a whole new sled. Being so pleased with the changes my buddy decided he was going to do the exact same thing so we ordered up the parts, installed them and are slightly displeased. He has good bottom end but has lost a fair bit of top end, max top end is probably 160 on a long stretch????

Any thoughts on what may be happening here

:exc:

You may check that his carb rack hasn't got sticky vac slide(s).They hold the needle (fuel flow)..probly wouldn't notice it much in the bottom (you sed "good" not "great" bottom end), but it might explan the lack of terminal, both sleds being equal

remove the 4 intake runners from the airbox and install them in the k and n filters, this will straiten out the airflow into the carbs. they are a tuned part of the intake and measure 50mm long, this dimension was not a guess by yamaha. many people lost top end with these filters and the next 'cure' were velocity rings. for the best performance cut out the bottom of the stock airbox, 165-170 jets. no noise, no icing filters, no speed loss.

Yes I did say good bottom end but it's actually great, probably comparable to mine. I also installed silver holtzman spring in the carb slides so it's not sticking, carb is good and clean. Going to adjust the needles a notch lower and give it more fuel. I took the plugs out and it is running very lean obviously not getting enough fuel. Perhaps removing the runners from the airbox like grader mentioned would be a good idea too. Too much air can causes the slides not to open all the way.
Does that make any sence????

grader can you be more specific on putting the runners into the K&N's, I only ask because they're just plastic and you can't really clamp the K&N's to them

the flared part of the horn went just inside the filters, and the e-vac hoses were piped into the front. this helped with the top end loss that we had but in the end i took them off. they were noisy, they iced up and plugged too many times, and i got sick of playing with them. i now run the stock airbox with the bottom cut out, foam and divider plate installed, no screen, 165 mains. this setup is quiet, looks stock, and if busting through deep snow the foam is easily cleaned or removed for the day.check this forum under airbox mods as there are pictures and info posted.

I did a search and couldn't find any pics of a modified airbox for an RX-1 but here's some pics of what I'm assuming you mean for the stock airhorn, let me know if this is what needs to be done

100_0800.jpg

here's 2 of the inside, notice how it's bent

100_0801.jpg

100_0802.jpg

push the horn in just to where the clamps mount and push out the rubber from the inside if it kinks.i also did a search for the airbox pics and cant find them, must have been removed. the bottom is cut out leaving an opening about 2-2.5 in. by 10 in. apprx.

I'm going to try this out on sat., there's some guys getting together to do some radar runs so hopefully this can give me a few more mph because 98mph isn't cutting it

one more thing did you seal up the horn and filter with silicone or did you just press the horn in and leave it like that

put a hose clamp on the filter and then one on the horn were it goes on the airbox

Back