• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Klim made in China?

YamaDood

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
04 Yamaha RX1
18 Ski Doo 850 Renegade Raptor
2013 Ski Doo MXZ XRS
2011 Ski Doo 600 Arse Touring
01 Arctic Cat Z800
08 Arctic Cat 370
17 Polaris 120
02 Ski Doo 120
04 Ski Doo 120
Todays rant! I have been riding with the same gear for years so I decided it’s time to treat myself to all new, also justified being that I purchased a 3rd machine so I figure it’s good to have some extra gear. About a week ago I ordered Klim Keewenaw jacket and bib, along with boots, socks and gloves to my local dealer. To my surprise the first thing I saw when I unzipped the jacket was a tag “made in China”. I’m really disappointed and annoyed that they charge a premium for something outsourced to China. Klim seems to be the first choice in gear, am I the only one bothered by this?

Todays rant! I have been riding with the same gear for years so I decided it’s time to treat myself to all new, also justified being that I purchased a 3rd machine so I figure it’s good to have some extra gear. About a week ago I ordered Klim Keewenaw jacket and bib, along with boots, socks and gloves to my local dealer. To my surprise the first thing I saw when I unzipped the jacket was a tag “made in China”. I’m really disappointed and annoyed that they charge a premium for something outsourced to China. Klim seems to be the first choice in gear, am I the only one bothered by this?
I definitely agree.thats gotta be disappointing.Not sure if it's the best but they certainly advertise that it is..Not exactly inexpensive products.I have reima gear which was made in finland&superb quality.Have had for years&no wear/tears &warm&waterproof.
I looked into buying a pair of boots but after looking into the warranty of 1 year (which for us sledders=4-5 months&$350 price tag I passed.Sadly really not much has American made tag anymore

I had some Riema gear. That stuff was great. Unfortunate I believe they got bought by Scott a few years ago and the quality suffered. They now only make kids stuff.

I had some Riema gear. That stuff was great. Unfortunate I believe they got bought by Scott a few years ago and the quality suffered. They now only make kids stuff.
Yes I'm still wearing my goretex reima gear.I would like to upgrade but it all still looks new.great product for sure

I really like my old Arctic Cat gear, the quality is great, it’s just too heavy and hot. Figured I’d upgrade to something more breathable and something that isn’t plastered with Arctic Cat.

Klim is making more money to let them produce it in China.

Klim is making more money to let them produce it in China.

Oh I know it.. Seems wrong to charge what they do being that their product is probably made in a sweatshop, if Klim were paying prevailing wages here, I can justify the price-tag, being made in China it should cost a lot less IMO. My wife’s says “it’s the way to the world, have to get over it”. I doo like what I purchased, just hate seeing that little tag inside.

Don't get me started! Global economy my #*$&@. Corporate greed! EVEN IF the jacket was quality the price should come down, Right? And hopefully the jacket is still great but Ill bet they cut corners somewhere also.... Dirty deals in smoked filed rooms is the Global economy for ya. Not a move better for the consumer no matter what ya think!

There is (or was) some gear still made in the USA. For example my Mountain Addiction bibs that I bought 3 years ago are made in the USA.

Usually I will look at the country of origin label when shopping for gear at snow shows and dealers. If there is a choice, then I will usually pick the product that is made in USA, Canada or even Europe and truth be told I don't even mind paying a little extra for it!
Unfortunately we don't always have that option anymore.

Didn’t Polaris buy Klim?
Yes. They bought Klim in 2012. Often thats what happens. A small company that makes a quality product gets bought by a bottom line company , publicly traded on the stock exchange and they wring every bit of profit out of the product until its no better than the others and it sells based on the name alone. it works for them until consumers figure it out. Seems like that where we are with Polaris and Klim.

My dealer had a shipment of Klim come in, and I saw the "made in China" printing all over the boxes. I was pretty upset because I was a big "fan" of Klim gear. I am not a Trump cheerleader, but I do appreciate his efforts to stop the exodus of American manufacturing to China. As Americans, we want it all; we want good quality, but we want it cheap. Unfortunately, many Americans don't seem to care that the cheaper prices come at the cost of American jobs.

I guess it is "ironic" that I love Yamaha products considering that I generally try to "buy American". In that respect, the Yamaha/Arctic Cat partnership soothed my conscience a little bit. I am riding a Yamaha, but it is made in America!

Back