• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Knock Light Causes

If I'm not mistaken didn't td and hurricane have a joint effort in the design of the knock detection?
Fuel must be better quality around northern ontario i have many friend running tunes from different tuners and non of them have issues with knock!!!
The only one who got knock once was hammer that I know of at the beginning of the season and I beleive he had old gas from last season!!!

Yes a joint effort with GAP but I believe different sensitivity settings. Also both Tuners are with 30 minutes of Ottawa so same fuel most would use in Ontario. Kind of funny little to no discussion on knock last year now more discussion than ever. Possibly just more people tuned this year with the knock protection. I know many from both TD and Hurricane that never see it. Wonder if the sensor itself over time is acting up ?

If I'm not mistaken didn't td and hurricane have a joint effort in the design of the knock detection?
Fuel must be better quality around northern ontario i have many friend running tunes from different tuners and non of them have issues with knock!!!
The only one who got knock once was hammer that I know of at the beginning of the season and I beleive he had old gas from last season!!!
That is exactly right Marc

Again this is my sled that started the thread. Today on the TY ride I had one opportunity to get on it safely and the knock light triggered on 270 tune at 8950 max RPM. Same gas as I had yesterday when testing and no light. Sled runs great all day until you really open it up. Maybe my knock sensor? Not sure but no time to dink with it when you are on a weekend ride. Running octane boost... Lucas. Gas has been from Kwik Trip, Mobile and now Holiday since Tune was done.

Again this is my sled that started the thread. Today on the TY ride I had one opportunity to get on it safely and the knock light triggered on 270 tune at 8950 max RPM. Same gas as I had yesterday when testing and no light. Sled runs great all day until you really open it up. Maybe my knock sensor? Not sure but no time to dink with it when you are on a weekend ride. Running octane boost... Lucas. Gas has been from Kwik Trip, Mobile and now Holiday since Tune was done.
I think knock sensor has to be next step.

Ran the 240 all day today. Knock sensor once at 8950 RPM. But later in the day hit 9090 with no knock. Seems inconsistent. I did notice pinned on the 240 tune boost maxed out at 14.8 on the meter. Is that right? Overall sled ran awesome and was great day.

Ran the 240 all day today. Knock sensor once at 8950 RPM. But later in the day hit 9090 with no knock. Seems inconsistent. I did notice pinned on the 240 tune boost maxed out at 14.8 on the meter. Is that right? Overall sled ran awesome and was great day.
Thinking about it again... has anyone seen a knock on the 240 flash?

Early stages of a 270 Hurricane, 3" Sandale Hyperflow, CAI. 500 Miles of Smiles as the Cliche goes. No knock light as of yet, running non-ethanol 91 oct.

One thing I was told to do was change plugs and gap them at 20 thousandths which I did. I assume a hotter spark?

Some thing else to monitor at full pulls is Air Inlet Temperatures. This has been discussed in other threads. At high boost pressure, Air Inlet Temperature will naturally increase significantly simply due to compression. Stock Intercoolers are limited in there design to how much this temperature can be lowered. Low octane fuel with a low ignition temperature combined with high air inlet temperature will contribute to knock. So far the highest air inlet temperature I have seen is 73f on miles of hard throttle and high speeds. 16+PSI boost. It was a cool day though. -15c or 5f.

240 tune you should be able to run the worst gas on the planet
I agree but that is not the case and Bhall is not the only one with this issue. Maybe alot of defective Knock Sensors or maybe the Knock sensor tune is too sensitive to real world gas. We need a Knock sensor test with Parameters. I know on cars and bikes with OEM Vehicles we could see Timing change with a screwdriver tapping on oilpan and a Timing light. But that was just to see if Knock Sensor was actually even working. We know his is just need to be more specific.

Have you tried sea foam to clean up your gas in case their is water in tank? I would run it for at least a couple tanks.

I put the Hurricane trail muffler and tune bundle on at the start of year. With the 240 and 270 tune I ran 91 oct non ethanol Esso gas, I had a knock light flashing all the time when pinning it. Flash would happen very fast. I couldnt react. At the start when it flashed I would back off the throttle then back on throttle. Sometimes it would flash again but I would just keep it pinned. So the after a bit when it flashed I just stayed on throttle and only a couple of times it would flash twice so that is when I would let off. I switched to Huskey 94 oct fuel with ethanol no more knock flashes on 270. I haven't tried it on the 240 or 290 tunes. Plan it to move up to 290 tune right away. Just wanted to make sure only 94 is left in fuel tank.

I had knock light on 270 quick, flashing when I punched it several times, so I watched AFR when I punch it,held it longer, it goes to 11.4-11.6 Am I getting knock being this rich or is it false, ran 91 octane

Being rich would explain the backfire out the muffler I would get in longer pulls across a field with some good snow cover. The backfire looks pretty cool at night

Back