• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kold kutters or studs?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 sidewinder rtx se
18 rtx 129-was thinking of what I can do to be more safe on bare lakes and icy trails. I do not do any sort of top speed runs on lakes and I only ride on icy trails once or twice a year. I rarely ride snocross style thru the corners mainly high speed U.P rail trails. My main concerns are damaging the cooling system and pulling thru the track or damaging paddles If I use kold kutters. If I went with studs I would use the absolute minimum i could so I'm thinking 48. Any input appreciated!!!

18 rtx 129-was thinking of what I can do to be more safe on bare lakes and icy trails. I do not do any sort of top speed runs on lakes and I only ride on icy trails once or twice a year. I rarely ride snocross style thru the corners mainly high speed U.P rail trails. My main concerns are damaging the cooling system and pulling thru the track or damaging paddles If I use kold kutters. If I went with studs I would use the absolute minimum i could so I'm thinking 48. Any input appreciated!!!

Don’t even bother if you’re only going to go 48....that’s worthless imo.

I don’t even know what Kold Kutters are??

I'm not looking to gain anything in acceleration just want to stay straight when it's pure ice

96 or even 120 studs would work for safety..if that’s really all you’re after.

Two stud per row is good enough for safety. Don't go under that, its not a 900ace ;-)
After dumping a couple of sleds in the water I have certainly learned my lesson and dont find myself on the ice with my sleds very often. I definitely plan on letting her rip down trail 8 from the Soo all the way to Hurley Wis this coming Feb!

After dumping a couple of sleds in the water I have certainly learned my lesson and dont find myself on the ice with my sleds very often. I definitely plan on letting her rip down trail 8 from the Soo all the way to Hurley Wis this coming Feb!

Dumping a few sleds in the water? Now you have to tell us all about it!

I would also say go two per row minimum (I am going 2\4 so 3 avg) and just buy a quality stud and a quality round backer. You have a 2 ply track, you will be fine. Just don’t gun it over stumps and concrete, you won’t get pull through, you will need two tunnel protectors on each side ($70 kit).

Dumping a few sleds in the water? Now you have to tell us all about it
Had to cross a 50ft long section of thin ice (neighbor has a bubbler for his dock) to get on the lake, I was on my poo 550 ss, so I grabbed a hand full of throttle and about 15 before the shoreline I hit a maple stump under the snow it bucked me off sled rolled onto the thin ice iddled for 5 seconds then down she went completely submerged, neighbors got a good show!

Haha oh man I can imagine, glad you didn’t get hurt. I did mention not to gun it over stumps see??

Did the block crack? Was the sled toast after that?

2 a row I would be worried but may work ok if you never ever grab a handful of gas. 3 a row I would recommend. If you have to few they will over stress the ones you do have. That’s when breaking and pull throughs happen. May be cheaper for you to get an ice ripper track. That’s exactly what you would get and want performance wise.

Go 2 per row, and dont go too long. I would keep them shorter so you have less worry about pullout. Going with too little quantity will allow for more spinning which is asking for trouble. Typically when you just want safety you are better off going with an ice attak track vs less studs.

I would go 2 per row up middle in a 'V' pattern, and use 1.325 Woody's. I would highly consider the 'Grand Master' Stud which has an oversized head and is made for single ply tracks, but many use them on 2 ply as well. These will be near impossible to pull out.

Dan

grand-master-800x800_92478.jpg

Back