• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Latest News from North American Yamaha Snowmobile and Minocqua, WI R&D July 15, 2021

I just ran across the latest Yamaha news release from Snow Goer Magazine's website:

Thoughts and Comments?

You’re kidding right? Jared is marketing production engineering is a very different skill set. If Yamaha doesn’t want an engineering resource at TRF during production runs to protect their investment they completely trust Textron. I would think Yamaha will assign an engineer to TRF during production runs to make sure specifications are respected.
there is going to be no engineers around they all got the boots there are like 3- guys left to work at R&D they are done March 1 2022 they to get rid of the stuff at the RD Building and then goes up for sale. and accordingly from friend that Jar came in to R &D there where a lot of heat talks and he would not listen to them. So that who is running the ship is Jar an Peter small-man Tew.

This is 100% spot on, 2 winders and 1 Tcat (all 18's) and all stock. All 3 have had top gear failures, drive shafts worn out, oil reservoir seals leaking and bogey wheels replaced. The Tcat is getting a new primary this year (warranty) because the original was close to exploding from cracks in the sheaves. Two seasons ago we addressed the drive shafts. On mine I had it chrome plated with zero interference fit on the bearing, the T cat had his welded with zero interference fit on the bearing and the other winder just went with a new OEM shaft. All 3 were installed with green bearing locker and BOP drive shaft savers. We have torn them apart this spring/summer and not one has spun. All 3 also put a new DMC top gear in last year and all 3 gears when back in this year with over 2500 miles from last season, they were all still tight with minimal wear if any. So to say it only happens on boosted sleds is false. Were trying the BOP ROV bypass this season, hope it works like everything else Travis designs.
Wow, if all those sleds are stock, and that is the norm, then I stand corrected. It just hasn't been my experience. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself on my wife's new Sidewinder!

Here is a little surprise I ran across on Facebook!

If you can not log into Facebook this is what it says.

Wide Open WI Grass Drags & Swap

‼
1f525.png
HUGE ADDITION
1f525.png
‼

Yamaha Snowmobiles is coming to the show with a corporate booth. Come check out all their new machines for 2022!
Event Details
1f449.png
1f449.png
https://fb.me/e/1CpCHhhAD
#yamaha #wideopenwi #grassdrags #swapmeet #cornhole
PORT YAMAHA More Freakin Power SnowStuds

Wide Open WI Grass Drags & Swap

tSmg1rop8onsorhed ·
‼
1f525.png
HUGE ADDITION
1f525.png
‼

Yamaha Snowmobiles is coming to the show with a corporate booth. Come check out all their new machines for 2022!
Event Details
1f449.png
1f449.png
https://fb.me/e/1CpCHhhAD
#yamaha #wideopenwi #grassdrags #swapmeet #cornhole
PORT YAMAHA More Freakin Power SnowStuds

here some food for thought I bet that after 2024 Yamaha sleds don’t come with Yamaha motors only no Yamaha clutch’s on the it will all be Cat stuff

here some food for thought I bet that after 2024 Yamaha sleds don’t come with Yamaha motors only no Yamaha clutch’s on the it will all be Cat stuff
Just like the Suzuki days! Based on the Yamaha primary clutch they are producing now maybe its time to give up on that also?

Last edited:
I find this statement puzzling, and often made by people who don't own or never ridden a Sidewinder, but maybe have just looked at pictures.

I was sitting in my Garage last night having a beer with a friend. We where looking at my 2017 Sidewinder RTX. He owns a 2020 T-cat, his first Cat after years of ski-Doos and a few Polaris. Between us we have owned nearly 60 sleds of all brands. He has 50 years of riding under his belt and I have been riding for 45 years. We also have the opportunity to ride all the newer models from all brands as our group we ride with is pretty diversified as far as makes and 2 stroke and 4 stroke.
We both agreed the newest version of the Pro-cross with the 3 cylinder turbo was the very best sled we had ever ridden.
It is , by far, the flattest cornering sled on snow. As a trail sled, balance is very good. Mountain sled? Probably not, but I cant speak to that as I have never ridden one in the hills or ride off trail.
I know it isnt for everybody, but they are VERY good. All it takes to convince some people is a test drive.....an an open mind.
Your exactly right,

If you count my riding buddy, then make it 2 in a million! Honestly, I meant no disrespect to your opinion, and I appreciate the blessing! I get it that there are some unhappy former and present Winder owners, who have had serious issues, but I don't think that design or mechanical issues are a problem unique to Winders or to Yamahas in general. Regular service with a good mechanic who knows what he is doing, and keeping our engines stock has worked well for us without requiring any of the modifications that are frequently discussed on this board. I can't prove it, but I have a suspicion that many of the issues we read about in Winders would not be as prevalent if everyone kept their sleds stock. Adding 25-50% to your horsepower has got to put a big strain on parts that were not designed to handle it. My Sidewinder may self-destruct this year, and make a liar out of me, but so far, I wouldn't change a thing.
no real problems with my winder, I love my sled. Very well said about having a good mechanic and not asking the sled to do things it's not designed to do. then there is the " beat up" factor...lets face it, if you beat the crap out of anything don't expect it to be good to you either. Joe

My first sled had tight chain case screws, but second didn't.
That's 50%
Relying on LOCTITE is a horrible lack of engineering that cost MANY to lose riding time. UNNACCEPTABLE
"Losing Riding Time" is the biggest issue with every thing now.
Short seasons, low snow & busy stressful lives. Can't have a downed sled because of dumb issues.

Failures
Yes
Poor Engineering
NO
Only issue for me so far has been the ROV to freeze up and blow the seal out.I have not checked my shaft or bushings yet and i am crossing my fingers!!!!Still cannot figure out the reason for not having a chaincase gasket can someone tell me the advantage of not having one?

Only issue for me so far has been the ROV to freeze up and blow the seal out.I have not checked my shaft or bushings yet and i am crossing my fingers!!!!Still cannot figure out the reason for not having a chaincase gasket can someone tell me the advantage of not having one
Chaincase has a gasket.
Oil tank is glued on.

And NOBODY on earth can figure out why except the bean counter that saved $.02 per sled
OK, there is your answer

P.S: Please don't use the "cross fingers" method. Unless you step on a Penny that is heads up. Then you're guaranteed no issues.

Chaincase has a gasket.
Oil tank is glued on.

And NOBODY on earth can figure out why except the bean counter that saved $.02 per sled
OK, there is your answer

P.S: Please don't use the "cross fingers" method. Unless you step on a Penny that is heads up. Then you're guaranteed no issues.
I meant oil tank,I was in the garage too long yesterday

Back