• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Latest TY Tech Video. Removable Lower Panels.

Nice .
One thing I do when doing these is instead of using a riv-nut in that top front location, the on that is a pain to get to, I just use a tap and thread that hole the size of the fasteners that I am using.

Nice .
One thing I do when doing these is instead of using a riv-nut in that top front location, the on that is a pain to get to, I just use a tap and thread that hole the size of the fasteners that I am using.
That’s a great idea!

Thats one of the first things I did with my Procross chassis in 2014, also to the foot stirrups on each side and the plastic under the chaincase.

do you have a link for where to order the riv-nuts and longer handle crimping tool?

do you have a link for where to order the riv-nuts and longer handle crimping tool?
Amazon, steel, aluminun, stainless riv nuts all avalible there, plus diffrent crimp tools, i use the same long handle crimper as in video, from amazon.

Got the nuts and tool ordered. Rather than getting the zinc plated steel nuts I went with the SST nuts instead to eliminate any chance of rust. They are probably going to be much harder to crimp in place than a steel nut so I am glad I went with the 16" tool.

Got the nuts and tool ordered. Rather than getting the zinc plated steel nuts I went with the SST nuts instead to eliminate any chance of rust. They are probably going to be much harder to crimp in place than a steel nut so I am glad I went with the 16" tool.

Nice!!

You will not know the diffrence between steel and stainless nuts with the longer handles, well worth the effort doing removable panels...enjoy its a very good mod to do, then have done.

I'm sure most have discovered as I did that using the proper "grip range" rivnut is key in certain places where the metal is thicker (frame) or double layers, the short grip range rivnuts won't crimp over properly in thicker locations and can pull out.
Not sure if these rivnut kits come with various grip ranges, I bought mine by the piece through Fastenal when I did my Winder.
Cheers.

i just recieved mine last night and ordered several diff makes, i have the zinc plated ones , that came with the multi head 16" gun and i ordered seperatly the reall good american made 304 staineless ones and also american made aluminum ones. all the extra one i ordered were 1/4-20 and i orered TRUSS style... low profile Stainless phillips with slightly larger head than buttom head. what are the thoughts on the aluminum ones being that there would be no chance of Oxidization over time.... prob same as what factory would use.

Great video!
I did this side panel removal mod on both sides when my 2019 XTX was new and it has been a real convenience doing maintenance for over 3 years now.
I used SS nuts and screws and just a couple cautions here from my experience.
The Riv Nut tools adapter is very brittle and not very big in diameter for the riv nuts being used for this application.
I broke my first adapter 1/2 way through the job and had to wait for another one to get delivered so be careful when doing the job and avoid any side load on the tool...I now have a couple extra adapters in this riv nut size.
Also I find the screws securing the panels have a tendency to loosen up so occasionally check their tightness.

Back