• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lets talk suspension set up

Hey earthling, is it easier to lose weight or add HP?! Lol. Oh yeah, with your rocket, you're probably all the way to the top on HP already so maybe you only have 1 option?! Lol
I have always found adding horsepower is always easier than losing weight. LOL

Wasn't me, I only have two scales and both say I need to lose weight. The guy who posted the video I linked to was using a proform 4 corner system, @Yamifan did his own 4 corner measurement using postage scales and came out with very different numbers left to right. I am now sorely tempted to do what the same and buy some postage scales. The challenge with postage scales is that you have to be careful how you load them or they tend to get biased by their initial readings but I am sure it can be sorted out. Of course if I saw a proform for cheap I would buy that pretty quick but I am not curious enough or competitive enough to spend $1200.00-$1500.00 on scales.
Actually no, the left to right was very close...within 10#. You can move the left to right bias 30# by tilting your head.

You guys should watch some of accelerated technologies videos on YouTube and the STV videos where they go to visit him.

Anybody else care to share their suspension setup for trail riding?
For my 17 LTX SE, I am going to do some suspension mods this season.

My current setup (I am about 185-lbs without gear)
Stock Fox RC front shocks set with minimal preload (A-arms near level)
Limiter strap pulled up 1 hole (maybe 2?)
Stock Center & Rear skis shocks
Stock 90/250 center shock spring
Stock torsion springs set to the middle position
Transfer blocks set to the middle
AC 6" Trail skis with 8" Snow Stuff Double Down carbides

The above setup has little transfer but works well for me and I do not want ski lift when throttling out of a corner. Steers easy with that ski/carbide combo. The torsion springs seems a bit soft. I have bottomed them out on big bumps/holes. I could move the adjuster to the stiffest position but then the ride would be more harsh the rest of the time. I believe it to be more of a spring rate issue.

This year I am doing the following to give it a shot.
Hygear dual rate spring setup for front ski shocks
Fox QS3 rear skid shock with Fox DSC adjuster installed in place of the standard 3-position adjuster (MUCH more adjustability)
SRX rear torsion springs (these have less preload (giving the lowered ride height) but a higher spring rate (better bottoming resistance)
If I have only pulled up the limiter strap 1 hole, I may go another hole.

Actually no, the left to right was very close...within 10#. You can move the left to right bias 30# by tilting your head.

Ahh, I see the miscommunication now. I said your results showed a very different number left to right, I didn't mean, on your sled, I meant compared to the video I posted.

You guys should watch some of accelerated technologies videos on YouTube and the STV videos where they go to visit him.
Talked to John several times he knows what he is talking about and has literally decades of experience across many types of vehicles. Our local guy (Dean @ Peak Velocity) here is very much in the same league but not nearly as visible as he has enough business without being part of the social networks.

John @ Accelerated is a pretty sharp cookie with suspensions, set ups and tuning them.

For my 17 LTX SE, I am going to do some suspension mods this season.

My current setup (I am about 185-lbs without gear)
Stock Fox RC front shocks set with minimal preload (A-arms near level)
Limiter strap pulled up 1 hole (maybe 2?)
Stock Center & Rear skis shocks
Stock 90/250 center shock spring
Stock torsion springs set to the middle position
Transfer blocks set to the middle
AC 6" Trail skis with 8" Snow Stuff Double Down carbides

The above setup has little transfer but works well for me and I do not want ski lift when throttling out of a corner. Steers easy with that ski/carbide combo. The torsion springs seems a bit soft. I have bottomed them out on big bumps/holes. I could move the adjuster to the stiffest position but then the ride would be more harsh the rest of the time. I believe it to be more of a spring rate issue.

This year I am doing the following to give it a shot.
Hygear dual rate spring setup for front ski shocks
Fox QS3 rear skid shock with Fox DSC adjuster installed in place of the standard 3-position adjuster (MUCH more adjustability)
SRX rear torsion springs (these have less preload (giving the lowered ride height) but a higher spring rate (better bottoming resistance)
If I have only pulled up the limiter strap 1 hole, I may go another hole.

I also noticed that what skis and carbides on the sled make a difference in the fine adjustments.

I also noticed that what skis and carbides on the sled make a difference in the fine adjustments.
Most skis and your favorite carbide will work well but the big question is the ski leading the snowmobile or is the snowmobile leading the ski?

I had tried the dual runner carbides on my slp mohawk skis and it made it easier to steer but also created some push. Which lead to suspension adjustments to get the steering better. After riding for a while with the dual carbides I removed them and went back to the single woodys 6 in carbide.
Since going back to single carbide runners I was able to lighten up on down pressure and have better steering. All making for a better ride.

Pulled rear suspension out yesterday and found rear shock needs attention. Sent if off to get fixed. Must have exceed limits of the seals at some point.....

It's all about personal preferences and the weight of the driver. Make sure the shock and spring combinations match your weight and go from there. Plenty of info written on this site. What I like may not be your preference. For example, I like my suspension uncoupled, lots of studs and everything else set up like a cross country racer. I like the cat skis and dual nine-inch carbides. etc etc.

It's all about personal preferences and the weight of the driver. Make sure the shock and spring combinations match your weight and go from there. Plenty of info written on this site. What I like may not be your preference. For example, I like my suspension uncoupled, lots of studs and everything else set up like a cross country racer. I like the cat skis and dual nine-inch carbides. etc etc.
Would like to hear about your set up.

Always looking for the better ride.

If anyone is looking to stiffen their ride on a 137, I have a pair of stock torsion springs with under 100 miles on them from the 2015 Viper LTX SE that I used to have. They are stiffer than what comes on the 137 Sidewinders.

Back